Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nightime blooms-?

Posted by molossermom (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 1:19

Hi all ,
I dont ever post because the browse button is usually sufficient for a beginner like me. How ever I have a giant white flower in my back yard that only blooms once a year at night. I havent got a clue what it is ( another reason i'd like to get a great photo ) but night time macro shots are something i have yet to learn . any tips , short step by step would be soooo apreciated just to get this one shot . I do have a tri-pod, and a remote release (havn't used it),and my camera is a Canon EOS T3i, thank you .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nightime blooms-?

Here's what i managed to capture last night. I hope it is at least good enough to convey its potential. what should I do diffrent when it bblooms next year? Keepping in mind it blooms only at night. The second pic is what it looks like at dawn.

o

at dawn

o

Use really bright lighting and maybe a longer time setting on your camera, with a tripod of course.

Did you try using a flash?

Kt

o

I did use the built in flash the ones I took just using the halogen light attached to my garage definitely wasn't working. But I do have an external flash with at least one filter if that would be better. And so besides flash the flower needs direct bright light from say no more than 3 ft away or so that the entire flower is illuminated ? Does it matter how much it's surrounding is illuminated? The lady that gave me this plant has more than one and she thinks some of hers will be blooming in the next couple of nights. So I might not have to wait a whole year to impliment some changes and get a better shot. Thanks for responding to my post.

o

I don't use any external lighting when I use my flash. Even in almost total darkness, when using a flash and handheld, the pictures come out really nice but then I rarely take extreme close-up pics like yours.

Here is one I took from about 1 foot distance in the dark.

Photobucket

Kt

o

Thanks Kt.Thats what i'll do when my neighbors flowers bloom. I'll admit the main reason I was doing such a close up shot is my background was horrible and not much i could do about it.i wouldve had chain link and gardening equipt picking up flash since i haven't planted it yet. fortunately my neighbor has lots of low and high light illuminating her yard and since this bloom is about 6 to 8 inch a shot from a distance might be better.

o

Your plant is a night blooming cereus. They are stunning when blooming, aren't they?

I took these a couple years ago using a simple point-and-shoot camera with flash. Could have been a Nikon Coolpix or a Canon; I don't recall which.

Kate

Photobucket

antsbutnobats

Photobucket

o

Thanks Kate.i'm going to love being able tell people what it is rather than just describing it. And yes they are stunning! And they smell heavenly as well. My starter plant did produce a second bloom since my initial post; a bit smaller but just as beautiful. Suprisingly it stayed open until 9 or 10 a.m. Here's what I managed to capture this time. Thanks again for the info.
Nikki

o

I found a few time lapse youtube videos of the noght blooming cereus. This one i found to be very well done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJc1IhESV8c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here