Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't stop ...the...

Posted by zitro_joe (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 0:48

impulse...

I went to the store to buy a new lens, saved the $$$ for it after a few months of eating at home everyday. While the salesperson was lying to me about how more megapixels make a better camera, I spaced out and grabbed the Nikon D80 (I have had camera envy for awhile). While looking at it, another salesperson asked, "Have played with the D90, yet?"
- "It's out?" - me
- "Received it a few days ago"- her

She opened a cabinet door -not even on display yet- and I swear I heard Angelic Voices. It had to be Devine intervention...

~~~~~~

Defining the impulse:
Out of town, away from the wifey
Kid in a candy store (by myself)
$$$ burning a hole
~~~~~~

RIP Zitro_Joe
April 27, 1980 - October 1, 2008(the day I return home)
I have a feeling I will be selling two cameras, soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't stop ...the...

Ha ha.

I bet that is a sweet one tho Joe.

o

The difference between men and boys are the price of their toys.....I'd say go for it Joe!!

o

ep,
it had me at "Hello", done did it...

o

I added a Lensbaby to the collection. I am no where near good with it. It has a learning curve, for sure. I have seen some spectacular pictures taken with the Lensbaby. Here are some practice shots:

o

LOL, ZJ...the only way to talk myself out of buying anything like that is DH...the thought keeps me on my toes...Looks like you have a good start on the lens baby...Oh by the way how do you like the D90?

o

No doubt you will master the lensbaby in no time, you are off to a good start. These pictures taken at Offut?

o

It is a great camera. However, I not totally sure how I feel about the D90. It performs well, I wish it would focus a little faster. Low light performance is great, well beyond my previous cameras (which I still use regularly). However, I feel you are able to get better color quality out the box with the Olympus system. I hate spending time adjusting 'levels' afterwords. I like it right the first time, out the camera.

As close as you can get in comparison, some of the quality glass is cheaper with Olympus, However, Nikkor has so many more options available vs the 4/3rds system is still fairly new and there isn't that many option out there. The view finder on the D90 blows Olympus out the water. The optical viewfinder in Olympus cameras is so small.

Tech upgrades on the D90 are great, 12.3MP, High ISO, Live mode, movie capture ability and it can take SDHC cards( I really like that). I don't know that I really needed Lv view since I haven't used it yet, but the movie mode has been a nice addition. Granted, it's not great, but still nice.

I also bought the 50mm f1.8 but it is still in the box. I was able to get it NIB for just over $100, so I couldn't pass it up.

Linda - yes, I am at Offutt AFB, NE. I was stationed here four years ago for four years. I have been TDY here for a month and I am ready to return home to Erin, Abigail and Elijah.

z_joe

o

ep,
it had me at "Hello", done did it...

lolololol i KNEW it! :oD
a D90 ad caught my eye and my brain went "mmmmmmmmmmmm"
howsomever myself doesn't know a third of what i should be doing with the D70 (and probably never will) so i was able to nip the desire in the bud...no budget helped too ;o)
thanks for sharing your experiences

lianne :o)

o

Well, I see you survived getting home to DW!!
JoanMN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here