Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which camera?

Posted by helpless_n_ny (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 19:47

My wife and her mother are going on a cruise this winter and she wants a point and shoot camera to take with her. She'd like a small camera with at least 6 MP, 4X or more optical zoom, good image stabilization(ease of focusing)is extremely important, and a wide angle lens(28mm).
Can anyone suggest a camera with these features, or perhaps better? Are these the more important things to look for? The emphases is on the point and shoot. ;) Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which camera?

For point and shoot, I would suggest a Kodak product. TigerDirect.com has some great deals on refurbished models (greatly reduced).

Most important thing I can think of for a point and shoot is the zoom. Optical zoom is important, and is usually combined with digital zoom.

Just make sure it isn't digital zoom alone. This type of zoom simply crops a smaller section of your image and blows that up, losing resolution.

I consided digital zoom more of a liability rather than benefit; and never exceed the optical zoom length of the lens.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope it helps!

o
RE: Which camera?

Here are some of the best cameras according to stevesdigicams.com.
Check out the entry-level and pocketable ones, they're usually point and shoot.
JoanMN

Here is a link that might be useful: stevesdigicams

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here