Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Here... introduction

Posted by colorsofspring (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 19:13

Hello- I am new to the photography forum. I have been dabbling in photography for a few years, mostly just pictures of my children, but lately I try to incorporate my love of nature with portraits of my kids.
I have no formal training, but dream of being able to sell my work someday.
I would like to share some of what I have created here, but does everyone copyright their images before posting? I'd be afraid of people stealing my stuff!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Here... introduction

but does everyone copyright their images before posting? I'd be afraid of people stealing my stuff!

Copyright is automatic..whether people respect that is something else.
You would have to make a filing of copyright to enable you to take any legal action.
You could watermark your pictures before posting.
Although the watermark can be removed with a little effort.
Bottom line...if you don't want them stolen, don't post them.

o

Just don't post your first pictures of Brad and Angelina's twins and you should be okay. All joking aside, I wouldn't post something on a public board that I didn't want others to feel free having. I suggest you do the same. If you don't like the idea of someone pretending that your pictures are theirs, watermark them. You can also embed metadata into a .jpg file if you ever need to prove ownership.

Klaa2

o
you just can't win

I think Irfanview, for one, can remove metadata from pics

o

Yup, there are many ways to add data and remove data. Nothing is totally safe. Let's not broadcast it though. Thanks.

o

Hi Colorsofspring and welcomed....I have also heard if you reduce the size to 400-500, longest side...That if anybody wants to copy and enlarge it...it would be pixelated and not show good quality...

o

Welcome colorofspring.

Ron

o

Than you all for your replies. Juanital, I had thought of reducing image size also- so thanks for confirming that.
Here goes... I have resized.
The picture below is of my son standing next to a large boulder counting for hide and seek. This was at strip mall and the large boulders were arranged in a grassy area next to the parking lot. [IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/colorsofspring/BLOGboulderBW.jpg[/IMG]

o

Yup, there are many ways to add data and remove data. Nothing is totally safe. Let's not broadcast it though. Thanks.

In all fairness if one is told to add data for protection one should also be told how easy it is to remove. And a simple Google search will give you the "how"
Irfanview offers a plug-in to do just that..for legitimate reasons... so I don't think i've given away any secret hand-shakes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here