Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's the diff?

Posted by sailor86 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 17:02

You guys are probably light years ahead of me with semi-pro equipment and all. What I've got is a digital camcorder/camera made by Aiptek. It only ran about $200 so I'm happy with it.
What I don't know about are the video and the picture resolutions. For stills i've got the option of 3M,5M, and 8M. I tried 8M thinking it would provide a better picture but I never really saw any difference so I'm leaving it at 5M.
For video resolution I've got my choice of HD1080(30f), HD60f(720P), HD30f(720P), and D160f(DVD). I've got no clue what all those characters mean. Anybody got a clue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's the diff?

There are many facets involved in order to properly answer your question. Are you looking at the "stills" from print, or from the camera itself? If you are looking at the pictures from the camera screen, you will not see any difference between 3M, 5M & 8M. Printing them is a different story.

Just from my personal experience:
-We'll assume no heavy cropping is involved. There is almost always a small bit of cropping when printing due to image ratio of sensors (3:2 or 4:3)don't always match the image ratio of popular print sizes.
-4x6 you'll see no difference. You should be safe up to 5x7 but 5M and 8M would be better and you wouldn't be able to see a difference between 5M & 8M until you start printing in sizes larger than 8x10
-make sense?

As far as video, I would have to know he setting of each level, should be in the owner's manual.

Z-joe

o

I'm not planning on doing any printing. I just download the photos and videos to my PC. I took the same shots under each value of resolution and I really couldn't tell the difference.

o

What is cropping?

o

Cropping refers to the removal of the outer parts of an image to improve framing, accentuate subject matter or change aspect ratio.

Here is a link that might be useful: click me

o

The first three designations are the various formats for the new digital high definition (HD) TV. The 4th is a DVD format.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here