Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital or Otherwise?

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 12:58

Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon AE1 and a Nikon, and wonder what to do with it now that everything's gone digital. Should I start over? If so, what basic digital camera do you suggest? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital or Otherwise?

I have thousands of dollars of Canon A-1 equipment laying around.

I finally went with a Canon PowerShot which is already an older model.

I like the newer PowerShot SX50 HS with it's 50X zoom.

The choice will have to be yours. You may want an SLR which uses the interchangeable lenses etc, but your old lenses may not be adaptable to the newer cameras.

Kt

o

hmmm I'd always heard that canon lenses will fit canon cameras. I would talk to someone at a camera store

o

Some will, but you will have to buy adapters. I wasn't going to buy all new lenses so I decided against an SLR camera.

Kt

o

A few of the new digital camera puts the anti-shake mechanism at the sensor instead of in the lens's focusing system. The advantage of moving the anti-shake to the sensor is that older lenses are yet useable and new lenses are less costly. The camera body is more expensive.

For non-interchangeable lens cameras, it makes little difference where the anti-shake sensor is, except one camera maker claims they can use the anti-shake to shake the sensor to try to dislodge dust particles on it. This is more critical for cameras with interchangeable lenses where dust has more chance of entering the camera body.

o

Film cameras are still awesome and can produce a GORGEOUS picture. It's all up to you. If you like using the fil camera and getting the pictures developed then stick with it. If you want the ease of use of digital then try it.

One thing I've noticed about digital vs film is that.. With film you actually try with every pictures (usually) and with digital you try many different things and do whatever.. since you can just delete them or touch them up on the computer after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here