Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital Camera Help

Posted by snap58_in_wi (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 10:30

Good Morning!

I'm hoping to get some help with choosing a new digital camera. I tried the Nikon CoolPix P500 and wasn't pleased with how long the lag time was between pictures & the focusing time....lost lots of pics of the grandkids.

I'd like a camera with a good optical zoom, little lag time & still have a macro setting. I don't want to spend over $500 if I can help it:)

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks for your help,
Ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital Camera Help

check out the Canon Power Shoot series. I have the older S2 model. later models may have corrected a few of the shortfalls. One flaw was when using the default settings, it tneded to burn out highlights. This can be fixed by moving the mode wheel from 'auto' to 'P' (programmable).
Now in one of the menus, adjust the exposure to -1/3 f-stop. This adustnemt applies only when the mode wheel in on 'P'.

Good features:

1. Very fast boot-up. Typically, is ready to shoot in 1/2 second after pushing the on-switch.

2. Fast image write and ready for the next shot. My delay between shots is 2 seconds, but is because I have the view time set for 2 seconds. After a shot is made, it is shows in the viewfinder or rear display for a short time to allow one to accept the shot or take another one. This delay time is adjustable and when set to zero, the required write-time between shots is very short. I find that the 2 second review time between shots works for me.

3. The auto focus is fast in good light. When the light falls below a certain level, a low level green led spot light turns on to aid focusing. This is effective over short distances. Learn where this spot window is on the camera and practice using hand positions that do not cover the spot light.

My camera stores images only in jpg format. You may want a camera that can store in other formats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here