Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soon to be

Posted by doris_mi5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 10:30

Monarch butterflies. Found these on the milkweed growing by my deck. I have seen the female monarch around here quite a while now. Today I noticed her by the milkweed so I took a look and found these.

Image link: Soon to be (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soon to be

That's a nice shot. They are kind of cute and will probably be very pretty soon.

o

those are so cute, very nice shot! i'm glad you looked

o

Next, a pic of the chrysalis, please! :-)

o

alisande: Don't know about the chrysalis. Just learned about them now. I grow milkweed for them but that has been the extent of my knowlede of them. I found out today after they eat their fill of milkweed,which is poisonous, they go to a branch and make a chrysalis and hang upside down for ten days and emerge as a butterfly. That's the extent of my knowledge.

o

Very nice photo! However, those are not monarch butterfly caterpilars.

Here is a photo of one:

o

kentuck: If these are not Monarch tell me what they are. As far as I know the Monarch is the only butterfly that lays eggs on poisonous milkweed. There were five of these on the milkweed and the milkweed leaves are almost all eaten.

o

They are Milkweed Tussock Moth Larvae.

Go here:

Milkweed Tussock Moth Larvae

Kt

o

Thanks kt. I know thats what they are now. The Monarch has been around here for quite some time now so I just assumed that was why but July 21 we had a bad storm that blew down part of a tree and there was another bigger milkweed where it landed and knocked it over so I just pulled it up. There may have been eggs on it and thats what she was looking for. I haven't seen her since that day I took the pictures.

o

Wow..that's cool...I've seen those earlier in time (1st pic)...and yesterday I've seen the monarch cat (2nd) on our milkweeds...That's just cool...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here