Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
D-R-Y around here

Posted by rcnaylor (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 23:37

The summer months are usually our watest months of the year. That grows all the lush grass the plains are famous for. But, this year, the grass looks like it does in the dead of winter. Virtually no green in sight. In the first picture, you can see even the cactus are having a tough time making a go of it this year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: D-R-Y around here

The weather extremes lately have been dramatic. The drought and hot temps. The tornado outbreaks with very powerful storms. The major snows on the east coast. It does raise an eyebrow. We had our wettest spring ever.

o

We had nothing come up on our ranch. The creek is dried up and the water tank is down 75%.

o

Yeah, the state water board is listing our big lake here at "zero" percent of reserves.

The only other lake used as a drinking water source is at 22 percent.

We've had 1.4" precip in over 8 months.

o

That's too bad, hope things are turning around soon, we're
heaving good moisture again for the second year after around
15 year drought.
Thanks for showing these cool dry shots.

o

Wow, 15 years of dry. That's bad. Glad you are getting some moisture. Hope we don't have to go that long.

o

It was so weird to go to the ranch in Texas and see all the dryness, then to drive back to Tucson and it has rained 6 days in a row, 4 more in the forecast.

o

Location, location, location I suppose joe. I've noticed on radar that the high that is over us is letting the summer monsoon moisture roll over the areas just a little more to the west.

Everyone needs it so I'm glad someone is getting some. Normally this is our wettest time of year.

o

So strange. Northern Midwest has plenty of water, south none.

o

Location, location, location, Joan!

As I understand it the jet stream steered all the moisture and storm systems north during the winter and spring, and now we have a big high pressure system over us that just steers them in a big circle around us. The things that are making us dry are making others wet.

I'm sure the folks flooding in the mid-west and along the Mississippi earlier this year would've been happy to share some of their water with us!

I remember a few years ago when the Southeast was baking and dry, we were wet here, for us, because all the moisture got pushed over our way.

I'm definitely ready for something to move or change. The famous Dust Bowl in the 30s was centered in this region. For calender year 2011 we are four times drier than any year during the Dust Bowl. Of course, drought length adds to severity too, but, we be dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here