SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sydneydavis_gw

Hello Photo people. I need suggestions

sydneydavis
17 years ago

I am wanting to get a new camera. I have tried this before and get so confused I stop looking. I know I don't want to spend over 1K and would really like to keep it closer to the 5 - 8 hundred dollar range because I am wanting one just for fun, if that makes sense. Here are some things I am looking for mainly. I have a bird and butterfly garden and want a camera I can take close ups of the little eggs and worms and other cool garden features. I have Cannon Z135 Zoom that I had told the sales person exactly what I just said here but when I take close ups they pic's get blurry. I also have a

Canon PowerShot A85 4.0 mega pixel, but the pic's don't seem as cool as I have seen some of you post over the years. Like water droplets. I don't know if I am doing something wrong at this time but I feel I follow teh directions in the book.

Anyway the other feature I would like is what my neice told me about. Where I could have an object in color and the rest in black and white.

So what do I need to look and ask for? I have bought a bunch of new magazines to do some reading but I want experienced people who really use these features to help if you don't mind.

Thanks a bunch

Sydney

Comments (29)

• aliceinsocal
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There is more info on the Canon 135Z listed under the foreign version Canon Prima 135N. The specs state that the closest focus distance is .6m. Does that agree with your camera manual?

You probably want something that has a macro setting that goes closer.

Good luck on your quest. Keep us informed and show us when you get pics!

• netla
    17 years ago

You definitely need a good quality macro lens that can take you very close to the subject and give good magnification, preferably 1:1 (life-size) or better. You need a good camera to be sure, but what really matters for this kind of photography is the lens. Macro lenses have a very shallow depth of field and can be tricky to focus, so I would suggest you get a camera that offers both manual and auto-focus with different focusing programs so you can find a focusing mode that suits you.

I would probably buy a second-hand camera to keep the cost down, and get a new lens. I haven't been keeping up with what's new lately - I have too many cameras and am not planning on getting more - so I can't advice you on the model or lens, but it could be worth a try to get in touch with a pro nature photographer to get some advice, or to write in to a photography magazine, telling them what you have told us and see if you get an answer.

Good luck with your search.

• Related Discussions

Suggestions needed for bee house placement- Photos

Q

Comments (4)
    Try hafway between the two. They will be OK under the eaves completely. They won't THRIVE, but they will live. I've seen people put plastic straws under eaves on the north sides of hosues, and the bees still nested there. The thinf with shade is that the bees will reproduce at a lower rate than bees in full sun, but it will still do OK. My first year I had a BeeDiverse house and hung it in deep shade, I got about a 2X increase....as compared to a 4x increase for a different house in the sun on the very exposed south side of the house. Try to put it where it WILL get sun, but as close as possible to the eaves. Having an eave over it two or three feet up will be a LOT better than a fully exposed wall. And remember that the sun will be higher in April and May, so the shade will extend further down the post than it does now.
    ...See More

I asked on a seed forum and 2 people suggested the weed forum.

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you. I was hoping someone might have a specific brand that worked for them but I'm not sure if brand names can be mentioned on the forum. I did buy a weed killer that includes getting rid of dandelions. Thanks again for the suggestion - if this doesn't succeed, I'll try (and try) again. Happy gardening!
    ...See More

Need paint suggestions for 1892 house (2 photos)

Q

Comments (12)
    Welcome April--nice little house--except for the awful porch. It is totally wrong, should be a shed-type roof with turned columns and some gingerbread. Since the porch isn't raised high, a railing is optional, even for the period. As for colors, the Moss book is a must for advice. Since there are two different patterns of shingles in your gables, you have a choice of painting them all the same color, or different colors for each type. As for the brick, I'd try to paint it a brick color, leaving the trim and gables to give the house it's true expression. When it comes to painting the windows--the proper color for the sashes was normally black or a dark green, with a dark red running a close third--window sashes were meant to look more recessed than the rest of the house, hence the dark colors for them. White trim I don't think would work with that house--in the period you are talking about, dark trim was more common...and by all means stay away from pastels! :)
    ...See More

Photo people, need help!

Q

Comments (5)
    When the date is automatically added to a photo, it is added to the photo itself. If it were a film (negative) picture, you'd have to retouch the negative itself. Since you're talking about digital pictures, you'd again have to edit the original photo. Once the date is embedded, it's there pretty much permanently. As others have said, you'd have to use a photo editing program (generally, digital cameras, even the point-and-shoot cameras, come with a basic photo editing program) to get rid of it, or crop it off.
    ...See More
  • aliceinsocal
    17 years ago

Hi again.

Don't give up your Powershot A85 yet. Look at the review on Steve's and the sample pictures (these have not been post-processed but you must download the full size to see what the originals look like) & see if that is what you have been getting. Your camera's macro setting lets you focus down to 2" according to the specs.

Remember that a lot of the shots shown here that are so impressive have been post-processed--certainly sharpened & usually at least a little doctored up to look their best.

And study the difference that lighting makes and use it to your advantage--straight overhead versus side lighting, etc.

How do you think you are going to get a sensor that takes partial color--the subject you want--and partial black and white? That is done in post-processing (tho maybe there is some extrordinary camera program that attempts it.) You will find it very rewarding to try the editing techniques that come with even the simplest programs to show off your pictures to their best advantage. Better yet, graduate to a more sophisticated editing program--you'll be able to do the black/white and color combo and have such fun!

What the extra $$$ WILL get you is more zoom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's review of the A85

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

because there are just too many choices, but I will make one comment. I had two Canon S2 IS (one sent by mistake, billed and paid for both of them) and it did nice macro shots with just the zoom, but I'm not big into super macro so I forget how close you can get. The color was a little oversaturated for me and I didn't like the 12X zoom that I so desperately wanted, and it had image stabilization which is a big plus. The S3 IS is out now and probably has the same and added features.

That model did have a color splash mode, they call it a color accent setting, where you could pick the color and all the rest was in grey tones.

I do mine like that in Photoshop and after you've done a few, that's enough unless one particular photo lends itself particularly well to that technique.

If that link doesn't work, search for Canon S2 IS on amazon.com, then click on "see 494 customer images on the left". Some are nice. That parrot is way too vivid for my taste. The photo I kind of liked was number 49 of 494.

I bought my daughter an A95, and it gets pretty decent pictures, but there is too much fringing and I don't know how it handles macros or night shots because I haven't taken the time to figure it out and walk her through it.

I was talking to another poster on another thread about macros, ran out of knowledge so got some help. You can't get really, really close macros without a tripod or using a flash with a diffuser or light box, forcing a very fast shutter speed, set to f11 with a true macro lens, so many things I had not considered up until now.

I got pretty close with my cheap Olympus C4000Z, but in super macro mode, I had to use a tripod or set it on a bag of beans, get it positioned just right and set the timer. It backfocussed to the point I didn't want to do much macro work. Big flowers are fine, but little dainty ones or berries, etc., you run serious risk of backfocussing with a lot of models.

I don't have a macro lens with my current camera and make do with zoom and crop. With 8mp to work with, you can crop down a fair amount. No big, bug shots though. I got a few bees and butterflies in regular macro that weren't too bad.

I also discovered I had spider mites on my violas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color accent sample

• aliceinsocal
    17 years ago

Well, that's the third thing I've learned today! Facinating. Thanks, Aliska!

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all! These are interesting reads. I will try to get out and take some pic's in macro mode and see if I can post them to show you what they are looking like. I do like both camera's but they just don't do the cool things I have seen done. I do like the thoughts on it being doctored in/with a photoshop type program. That is something I had wondered about also...
    I'll keep you all posted..

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aliske, that is the feature my neice was telling me about. I had understood her to say her friend did it on his camera and not a program.

In the picture on the link posted was that done with the camera or a photo program. I tried to read it to find out but could not find anything. I need to remember that term you used. Is the reason you need a tripod because of the camera moving?
    Thanks again. I am so excited to go shopping but really do want to know a whole bunch before I go buy another camera. I have OCD but am very lucky to not have Impulsive behavior. The Obsessive-compulsive can be trouble enough without the impulsive behavior. I've always wanted to know as much as I could about what ever it is I am wanting to buy.

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Yes, your niece is right, it can also be done with certain cameras, the S2 IS and probably the newer S3 IS will have that feature, but I don't know where in the menu you set it, and gave my two to relatives. Both love them BTW. I don't know if any other cameras have that feature, I kind of think not, but you will have to read through pages and pages of specs to be sure on a camera review site.

That photo I linked to at amazon was done by the camera, not with software.

Re the tripod, when you are so close, one little move can throw the focus off and the camera shake factor, don't fully understand it to be honest; I guess that's why you have to use a tripod. With some more powerful lenses if you don't need to get within a 1/2 inch or so and back off a bit, you don't need a tripod. Same with the little cams with good zoom. The S2, probably because it has IS, I could get some really sharp closeups but not true macro. I didn't mind.

That's how I am; I read and researched for almost two years before I upgraded my camera, mostly because of the huge expense and I was buying not just a camera but buying into a whole lens system. They are not compatible from one camera to another; some can be with adapters.

I bought the S2 IS impulsively because it was relatively inexpensive with a nice discount, and I was hoping I could get some nice long bird shots with that 12X but was disappointed in that feature. I dialed in some settings and sent my daughter around the neighborhood with the S2, and she came back with some pretty decent photos. Sometimes I wish I had it for just certain features it had.

I would look at the new Kodaks, a lot of people are really sold on the Panasonic with long zoom, I was impressed with the Olympus 8080 with only 3X as a backup cam with 8mp because I liked the picture quality of my cheaper Olympus. Some Sony models are really nice, but my granddaughter bought one that I was not impressed with at all, one of the little pocket ones. I'm waiting to see if Olympus comes out with a p&s with a longer zoom with IS. Nikon is always good, I just never had a chance to try one out. Either that or I need to buy another camera body so I can carry two, eith with different lenses on them, so I don't have to swap lenses in difficult situations.

Yes, do your homework or you will be sorry. You will still find out some things you thought you were going to do will be hard, in my case a different expensive lens to get it really right. So I wait. Can't have everything.

I don't have many in my S2 files, but here is one closeup I rather liked; I don't know what class of macro it is, but I sat in the street to get it and handheld the camera, no tripod or anything else. I did crop out quite a bit of it; it did not fill the frame. Note that I think I had the color mode set to vivid and you don't have to have it that saturated, there are other color settings.

I'm not pushing the S2; I have to write about what I am familiar with and read:

{{gwi:2014285}}

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aliska That is pretty. I do agree about the research before one buys but I'm not really familar with all the language yet to really understand what I read. The July Photography mag. on different camera's and spec's have been helpful but it is not familar enough that I can remember all the info when I get out and start looking. I'm kind of at information overload now! LOL I did take some macro pic's after the post the other day. One kind of looks like teh macro look I am after...the other I'm posting just looks like I was close. It was windy so some of them came out blurry because the wind blew just as I snapped the pic.

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here are two more where one looks blurry upclose and the other does not..
    {{gwi:2014288}}

{{gwi:2014289}}

Can one be too close on a macro?

• cameragirl59
    17 years ago

Aliska, nice pic.

Sydney, love your hibiscus pic too.

"Can one be too close on a macro?"

I don't think so but I'm not the expert. I love macro pics.

Both cameras are great, but I prefer Nikon. Hope you don't mind me sticking my 2 cents worth. (click to enlarge)

(First pic is Nikon macro 105mm)

{{gwi:2014290}}

And here is the S2 IS

{{gwi:2014291}}

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Sydney, I'm always on info overload, I'm just as lost as you are because I'm pushing on ahead. Your macros aren't bad really, the lighting is bad. Only the one is a dud. Fill flash on the purple one or wait for the sun, maybe it is always in the shade. Can't step you through that really. You might *try* doing whatever you did (in the bright sun don't do this, but watch the exposure compensation so you don't blow highlights) *and* putting a small paper cup or something over your camera flash or tape a little square of tracing or similar paper over it to diffuse the flash and use the flash. Ratchet up the flash output if your camera allows it and take several test shots. You have to take a lot of practice shots to find out what works. Regular flash is too harsh so close. I can't remember what kind of camera you have so if you bump up the ISO you could get noise. The idea is to get as fast a shutter speed as possible for the conditions which lessens the effect of camera shake.

Now paper might affect the white balance which could throw the tint off so you might have to try different papers and then just forget everything I ever said and find out what works for you.

Don't worry about being lost. You have to start somewhere. The more you hear these words kicked around, they eventually start sinking in. You'll see if you don't give up. I personally wouldn't use this forum to ask for too much technical advice about cameras because there aren't too many pro types here. I'm not one of the latter either.

Pretty flowers.

cameragirl59, those are both so nice, I can't really choose between them, actually they both are sharp but I like the second a little better only because of the soft lighting and way the flower was opened for you, not because of which camera was used.

I came close to buying a Nikon 5700 way back when, and am so glad I didn't because it had a terrible time focussing in low light. A person whose work I admired shot some great photos with that but eventually ditched it and got the D100 and a bunch of lenses, probably has a better one now. I know nothing about the smaller ones, there's no going back now. I've always thought Nikon photos were generally really nice depending on the skill of the person who took them.

Actually I have a professional photographer internet friend who shoots with the Nikon D70; he has used Fuji, don't know what all. He does not fuss much at all with post processing like many do. I loved the photo quality of most of his photos. They just have a certain something you can't put into words, maybe it has an exceptionally good lens.

One more comment then I hope I'll quit. I did go into a camera store to buy a camera. They didn't have what I wanted and tried to switch me to one they had, plus the price wasn't that good. Then they were supposed to call me when they got the camera I wanted. I never heard from them. I think I have figured it out that the big online stores and some of the big box stores buy in such quantity that they get the first shipments, and the camera stores get what's left and don't maintain a real high inventory because of the cost. I feel like I'm on more neutral ground when I do my research and shopping on the net, plus I don't have to pay sales tax - yet like I would at a brick and mortar store. Either way I get a warranty. Either way I could have to pay a restocking fee if I return it.

Sorry if I've added to anyone's confusion.

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aliska I had my back to the sun so I could see the LCD screen, so those were taken that way on purpose. I was trying to see what the screen showed when I snapped the photo since I was just trying this for the first time after reading the link posted. I will try it again..I will also double check on the light levels bucause there was something on the screen that showed levels but I didn't know what it was about...

• stephyloulou
    17 years ago

For what my 2 cents are worth. I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, it has 8.3 Megapixels and takes amazing pictures. I'm still trying to figure out all the different settings on it, but with my macro lense I can focus as close as the end of the lense. It was within your price range, paid $650 for it new on ebay..., anyways, I love it, plus it comes with a battery pack instead of buying batteries all the time. I don't know if that is a factor for you, but I really saw that as a plus when buying my camera.
    Here are a few of the pictures that I've been experimenting with...

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Love that baby's face Steph! Now does this one have that feature where you can pick out one color and have the rest in b/w? Your flowers are also great! Is that a water droplet on the morning glory?

• stephyloulou
    17 years ago

I have the software on the pc to change it to b/w, as for the morning glory there is pollen showing up on it by the bee. I have more pictures of my moss roses but too many to show here.

• iowagirl2006
    17 years ago

I have the new Canon S3IS and love it. Super Macro will focus at 0 cm. It is a nice easy camera to use for a variety of situations. Has a nice 12x optical zoom - and the image stabilization is wonderful. It is around $400.

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Steph I wanted to let you know I've come back several times just to look at that pretty baby's face!

• JoanMN
    17 years ago

Sydney, this might be a stupid question, but when you shoot macro, do you press that little flower that means "macro"? On my H1, I push that, and don't zoom at all, but stick the camera up to the flower (trying not to actually bump the object).
    JoanMN

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Joan, I do know I put the little flower button but I do zoom I think...funny how quickly I forget...If you think it would make a difference I will try it that way to be sure!...Thanks for the tip.

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Here's my 2-cents worth (and that's probably all it is worth). You can get wonderful photos with almost any camera and that's a fact. Before buying a digital I took great pix with a Cannon EOS film camera and had them put on digital CD. Practice with the camera you have before you buy a new one. The absolute best times to take photos outdoors are early morning and late afternoon. Don't bother taking outside pix in the blazing midday sun. Go out and spray your garden with water and get some good closeups from lots of angles. Slanting light from morning sun gives wonderful prisms and sparkles early in the morning. Also you get dramatic shadows and you can limit your depth of field to blur the background into pleasant blends of color. Then buy an old copy of Photo Shop (you can get one of the older ones for $20) and learn how to use it. I've had photos you would throw away but after tinkering with contrast they are fantastic.

I researched for months before buying a new camera. I was so used to my EOS film camera I wasn't sure I wanted a digital. Ended up with a Panasonic. It has some really good points and some just fair ones. It is capable of taking wonderful photos. It is only limited by my aging eyesight and failure to grasp new fangled, hi-tech equip ;~)

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

sydney, I was just looking at your photos again. I think a lot of what you don't like is the fact that the sun has washed out the color in your pictures. If you did a little hocus pocus with an image editor, you could get the deep color back in your photo and eliminate the background distraction.
    {{gwi:2014299}}

• stephyloulou
    17 years ago

Sydney, Thank you for the wonderful compliment. I really do appreciate it. My husband keeps telling me to stop taking pictures (like I'd max out the computer on pictures or something), but I figure she's only little once....

I don't know why she likes to suck on that washcloth but... whatever...

My father-in-law gave her ice cream...

• bug_girl
    17 years ago

Tell him you can store them to dvd rom, or you can get a second hard drive, or a portable storage drive to put the photos on, so it won't take up so much room. I like to take a ton of photos. This way if you computer crashes you won't lose the files with the photos.

• stephyloulou
    17 years ago

good idea bug girl, I'll have to look at investing into a portable storage drive.....

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Sydney,
    Any news? Did you get a new camera? September 26 is day to mark. Why? Photokina will start that day. Photokina is a large convention in where all the camera companies show off the new lines, makes, and models. Some companies are already making announcements of what they will be showing.

I see your price range and there are a lot of good cameras in that range. It seems that to meet your expectations you might look into getting a camera that allows you have manual controls over the camera. Do you want to stay with Point and Shoot or would you like to move to the DSLR range?
    Some things to think about: a P&S camera is compact and it easier to part from if you move on to another camera. If you go the DSLR route, you are just not buying a camera, you are buying into a system. Unless you have money to throw around you will most likely keep that camera a lot longer. You will have to buy lenses for the camera body. In most cases the lens can cost as much, or near, as the camera body. Therefore you find yourself dedicated to that company.

There are some very nice entry level DSLRs out there. Nikon had the D50, I played with it for a while, but I decided to pass. I had the Canon XT Rebel, but I fell in love with the Olympus E500 so I gave the Canon to my wife. I can expand later if you want on these cameras if you want more info. Check dpreview.com you can find just about any camera there and it has customer ratings as well.

Unfortunately, the best advice I can give you right now is when it comes to cameras, most salesman at retail stores donÂt have a clue, honestly, they donÂt. So donÂt listen to them. I get angered at times when I hear them make recommendations based solely on the amount of megapixels a camera has.

This is just FYI but my current cameras are:
    P&S - Canon PowerShot 620, Olympus SP 500 UZ
    DSLR - Canon 300D XT/ Rebel, Olympus E500, Olympus E1

Zitro

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Syndey,
    I just went through the whole "new camera anxiety" journey. I wanted to jump from my Fuji Finepix 3800 "point and shoot" to a DSLR. As Zitro explains, its altogether different.

Generally, a SLR camera gives a higher quality picture and allows you to buy all sorts of lenses which makes for endless possibilities. Add photo processing software, like Photoshop, and your family may never see you again.

I bought the Nikon D50. I did some research. Got way too much information. Almost chickened out from confusion and fear. I decided it was the Canon Rebel XT or the Nikon D50. The Nikon deal was better plus I had Nikon lenes and attachments from an old film camera that were compatible. A D50 with 2 lenses cost me just over $800.

Although the Nikon D50 is considered an entry level DSLR, it will be years before I master it. It can be used as a point and shoot or completely manual. There are many modes in between. I have no regrets.

I got good pictures the first day. The pictures below were taken with a 200mm zoom lens. They were then cropped and enlarged.

{{gwi:237815}}

• sydneydavis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much Zitro and Harry for that information. That is kind of what I needed to know. I too am in information overload. I do some work for a photographer and called her to ask her if she would show & expain a few things to me. I also signed up for a class on Photo editing so decided to wait until after that is over. I deal with OCD and often get myself far more consumed with things than I need to be because I block other things out. So this continue to 'read and learn' process is part of my self control!....
    You all are so helpful! I am so glad I have this place to read and learn.
    Thanks again,
    Sydney

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

With the price range and type of camera you are looking for, dont get caught up on which brand is better. They all bring somethng to the table that the other doesnt. Some people defend brands like it's a religion.
    zitro

Sponsored