Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I make a mistake?

Posted by yesican (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 22:17

I bought the Canon PowerShot S3IS and I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. Is this the right camera for me an amateur who can't talk and chew gum at the same time? Yes, it does have everything I want but I'm having problems figuring out how to operate it. So is my husband. They told me at Walmart I could bring it back within 30 days if it wasn't what I wanted. Maybe they just looked at me and thought "she'll never operate this camera" lol. Is there another camera out there that will take good photos and is REALLY easy to operate or should I not give up so soon?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I make a mistake?

Don't give up so soon. All the decent cameras (that take decent pictures) have quite a few features these days. If you're completely unfamiliar with digital photography the instruction manual can seem as though it's written in another language. (And sometimes it is!) :-)

Begin at the beginning (How to Get Started) and work your way slowly through the instructions. The book will tell you how to deal with the battery or batteries, how to turn the camera on, how to zoom, how to hold the shutter release halfway so the camera can focus, etc. Most cameras have a "simple" setting on the dial. With some, it's a heart icon. Take your time.

And if you know someone who has some familiarity with digital cameras, ask for their help.

Good luck!

Susan

o

Putit on the green camera (auto) and give it a whirl!
JoanMN

o

Thank you both for your encouragement. It took me a while to figure out a few things. I can now take a photo. I can view the photos and I can erase all at one time or one at a time. I can also use the zoom. So you can see it's slow going but I think I'm going to really enjoy the camera after I learn a little more. I had to buy a new memory card which was one of the things that had me so frustrated. Couldn't figure nothing out to start with. lol.

o

Have fun with the camera! I got mine in March. I ended up taking pictures for my daughter's softball season, and got raves. I knew nothing. Just kept snapping away in sports mode. My pictures now number in the 9000 range (it just keeps numbering them and I can't think of the term for that now, sorry). I just ordered a telephoto lens and polarizing filter. I need those for my birds. (I talked myself into it,LOL) I'm learning every day. I've started turning the dial...At this point, I'm still running at about 90% luck, LOL.
To illustrate:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Good Luck!

Jeanne

o

Hi yesican,
My wife just got a CanonI5IS about two weeks ago and she is having some of the same problems. She does a lot on the Auto setting and the Sports setting. She is slowly learning it one step at a time. She takes a lot of bird pictures and the long zoom really helps. Just hang in there and it will all get easier the more you use it.
Good luck.....Jim

o

Jeanne, that's a beautiful picture! Hope I can get one that good. It's coming along better. Sometimes I forget who I am (Yes I Can)!

o

It seems to take awhile with a new cam...even if you were quite comfortable with older one...Nice shot, Jeanne!

o

Thanks! I was in the right place at the right time (finally, lol). Again, I'm just learning, but having a ball!

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I have the Cannon and would like to know which lens you bought for your picture of the birds which is wonderful. I looked at some of your other pictures and I really like them also. Thank-you. denise

o

You've learned the first and most important thing about digital photography --- how to erase.

Shoot, and erase A LOT. You'll learn much as you go. If it continues to be interesting, you can take some lessons to learn some of the finer points.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here