Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pic color drained

Posted by plantbug (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 22:03

How do you get the picture to look alive? When I post a picture, they are so drab next to most others I see. What is the secret?

Any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pic color drained

I'm no expert but probably a lot of people use a program like Photoshop Elements to sharpen and adjust colors in their photographs. There are other programs out there that will work also.

o

If your camera menu has a Color Space option, it will probably let you choose between sRGB and Adobe RGB (and possibly others). The default is probably sRGB because older monitors are limited to that smaller color space. Adobe RGB is a larger color space, and newer monitors can benefit from a larger color space.

Also, your camera may have a menu setting for Picture Control, with options like Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. Check your camera manual to see what options are available to you.

o

I have my camera set to "vivid" so my colors pop more (personal preference for me)

I can also sharpen my pictures, although it doesn't make a tremendous difference on most.

I reduce the file size of my pictures before I upload (I use a windows power toy image resizer so I do not have to open the picture in a separate program to resize).

I do not use "auto" settings my my DSLR. I find that if I use auto settings my pictures are very flat and boring.

Explore your camera! Even if it not a DSLR, you can do some tweaking of the settings to get more out of it.

Unedited picture

Photobucket

Image that has been shaprpened:

Photobucket

o

iowagirl2006, your before pic looks better than mine do!! Thanks for your tips, I will try them out.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

o

Photobucket

o

Contrast and/or lowering gamma or brightness, a little saturation. There are many paying and free programs that will do that. Vivid in camera does a good job, too! I'm not sure if you already have a program but I've been a loyal user of free Irfanview for at least 5 years. The first few years was trying to figure out what worked good for my personal taste.

juanital

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here