RE: Theme of the week: Historic Towns/Sites

12th century church in Trieste, Italy.

Photobucket

Up in the bell tower.

Photobucket

Ron

o

Historic Prickett's Fort, Fairmont WV. Apple butter time.

o

Mount Vernon....home of George Washington.

o

o

Wow, these are great! I want to see more of that Old Burying Ground. And it would be nice if the Mt. Vernon gardeners could stop by here to do a little landscaping.

Famous: Yale (at midnight)

View at Midnight

Not famous: old cemetery

Old Cemetery

o

Photobucket

o

I love all the photos.

crunchpa, fabulous garden pictures

alisande, I like your idea of famous and not so famous. My original title for this thread was going to be Classic (and not so classic) views of Historic Places...but I didn't have enough room. :)

Here are some more photos of the Old Burying Ground in Beaufort.

DSC03692

DSC03694

DSC03676

Girl in the Rum Barrel. She died at sea returning from England, but her father had promised her mother he would bring her back home. He did, inside a rum barrel. It's an odd juxtaposition to see this old marker with McDonald's happy meal toys. :)
DSC03684

Here is a link that might be useful: The Old Burying Ground

o

Thanks, Pam! I've never been to Beaufort, but for some reason (another life, perhaps?) I've always been strongly attracted to it.

I'm a volunteer gravestone photographer for FindAGrave.com and RAOGK.org--the latter standing for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. I took a lot of assignments last year, but this year I'm back to work for pay so I haven't had as much free time to wander around cemeteries. Your pictures are giving me a push, though.

Susan

o

Hi alisande,
I am drawn to these old graveyards, too. Charleston SC's Bonaventure Cemetery is beautiful as well, if you ever get there. The stories they have to tell!

I have seen FindAGrave.com and will check out RAOGK.org. I am a rank amateur family genealogist and these projects interest me. I love the idea of uniting families with old photographs, gravesites, etc.

o

From a very old shipping site in the Caribbean. Ancient chains.

Kate

o

Nice pictures :)

o

Great pictures everybody.

In Crystal Springs, MS

Ramona

park

lake at park

o

Here's an old church tower in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I'm sure it's considered historic by somebody.......

Church tower in b&w

o

msmitoagain, what a peaceful looking lake. It looks like a nice place to spend the day.

alisande, I like the gray sky background for the beautiful tower.

o

Carpenters Hall,Philadelphia

o

New to this forum, but just had to say how nice your photos are and add one of my own of my favorite place to go camping. This is on the Tombigbee River at St.Stephens Historical Park.

Susan

Rolling on the river

o

Welcome to the forum oreos-mom. Love your new baby. :)

o
Well, DUH!

I've been sitting here all week thinking "well, I don't have any pics of my own of really historic places"... when in fact, I have pics of one of the most important historical places of ALL TIME! Texan, of course. The place Texas independence was won --- The San Jacinto Monument on the site where brave, scappy Texas volunteers in the Battle of San Jacinto routed and defeated the largest, best trained army in the Western Hemisphere at the time of Mexican dictator Santa Anna. "Don't Mess with Texas!!"

Pics of the monument, pics from the monument and a pic of the Battleship Texas from the monument.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

PS REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here