Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Discovered?

Posted by vincentv (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 17:16

I've really enjoyed reading the topics over the years and at the same time I've been exploring my passion for photography.

I am not classically trained as an artist or photographer. I am self taught and have learned a lot from forums such as this.

Is there anyone out there that had experience with taking the step of reaching out to galleries or attempting to get "discovered?" Is anyone thinking about it?

Vince

Vincent Valle
Naples, FL
http://www.vincentvalle.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Discovered?

Discovered by whom? Some arts angel with deep pockets who will offer to fund your show? Slim chances of that, I would think.

When I started working as a newspaper reporter/photographer in the late 1990s, I could take pictures at an event without anyone getting in my way. By the time I got out of the business a decade later, I was constantly surrounded by people flashing away, digital cameras held at arm's length. The advent of digital photography has increased dramatically the number of people who consider themselves serious amateur-bordering-on-professional photographers. Not all of them are very good, but they make for a crowded field.

If by "reaching out to galleries" you mean approaching venues about exhibiting your photos, I did that with our county library a few years ago. From there, two other spaces invited me to exhibit. Last year I had three shows, but although I sold eight pieces (and two since then) I've decided I can't afford to do it again, at least not now. Printing and framing is expensive, and a lot of work. This year I had one very small show, and was more than satisfied with that.

However, I would like to show my dad's photos from the 1940s at some point.

So what's your plan, Vincent?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here