Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purchasing dslr online? Would you?

Posted by syak (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 16:37

Has anyone here had experience with purchasing new equipment on line from venders listed under amazon or ebay? The prices at excellent but make me wonder...is it too good to be true? In some cases, saving hundreds and getting more in the bundle.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
SY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purchasing dslr online? Would you?

Some are, and some are total scams.

You have to be very careful when dealing with online dealers. There are a lot of bait and switch operations out there. They will try to "upgrade" to all the things that are supposed to be part of the camera in the first place.

The cliche "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" is very true.

You can check stores here:
http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1-n2.html

I ,have used, and know a lot of people that have bought from Cameta Camera (cametacamera.com) and service from them is great.

ZJoe

o

I ditto ZJoe's advice. Reseller Ratings is an invaluable site!

I bought my last two cameras from Amazon, a trustworthy seller, and got great prices. I've also purchased from, and can recommend, NewEgg and B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com). I bought one from BuyDig.com. It was a good deal, but you have to be cautious re the issues mentioned by Joe.

A friend of mine was all set to buy from a dealer I'd never heard of . . . until I looked them up at ResellerRatings. Yikes! Immediate change of plans.
Susan

o

I just bought the sony alpha100 dslr online two weeks ago.

o

I bought my Canon Digital Rebel XTi online from NewEgg.com and my new lens from B&H Photo. I always check online dealers (resellers) at Reseller ratings first.
JoanMN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here