Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a new digital camera...

Posted by mrsmarv (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 15:05

I posted this on the Kitchen Table forum, as well. I'm usually over on the Decorating, Smaller Homes, or Gardening forums because I'm more or less a novice photo-taker. I currently have an older Fujifilm FinePix digital, with a 6x optical zoom. It's worked great (for me) over the past few years, but I find that as I progress it's pretty limited in what it can and cannot do. I would love to be able to take close-ups of our local flora and fauna, along with seashore/mountain shots, interesting subjects that I come across, etc. Some of the close-up photos I've seen are just gorgeous, and I'd like to at least have a chance of being able to do the same ;o) I'd like to stay under $450 and am considering the Canon S3 IS Powershot. The Olympus 550 UZ looks great, but I really want to keep it to a dull roar as far as cost. Can anyone offer a "passing through town" visitor a hand? It would be greatly appreciated.
Nora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a new digital camera...

Hi Nora!

I saw your post on the kt, sorry I didn't get back with you.
I am on my third digital.
My first was an olympus, then the fugiS5000 with a 10x zoom.
I had my fugi for 5 years and I love it.
I just bought a Sony Alpha100 dslr a few weeks ago.
I really like it so far, but I am still learning with it.
It had very good reviews. The reason I choose it over the canon or nikon, was because I had minolta lenses that were compatible with it and would keep my cost down.

Why don't you check out the site listed below, steves digicam. They give very good reviews on all cameras.
I studied reviews for over a month until I made the decision on this latest camera.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Steves digicam reviews

o

Thank so much, wanda! Your photos are some of the ones that make me smile every time I see them. Your bird shots are absolutely beautiful. I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Canon S3 IS. It has the features I want, including the 12x zoom lens, and the price is right. I just need to see what additional lenses it takes. From what I hear, you can buy a conversion lens to boost the zoom. I originally thought I'd get a conversion lens for my Fuji, but it only has 3.2 pixels, which will make for grainy enlargements. The cost of a conversion lens runs around $150, so I think it would wiser in the long run to look at a newer camera.

o

Your welcome, Nora, and thank you for the nice compliments.
Good luck on purchasing your new camera.

o

I have the Sony DSC-H5. If you don't want to get into a digital SLR, it's great. x12 optical zoom, great macros (close-ups), landscapes, etc. Should be cheap now that the H9 is out. Or check out the H9!
x15 optical zoom, and the lcd swivels.
JoanMN

o

I am a fan of the Olympus 550UZ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here