A little West Texas flavor

Posted by rcnaylor (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 12:40

An old farmstead and windmill seen through a RR trestle

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little West Texas flavor

WOW..some green grass on the shady side of the trestle....

That is rapidly becoming a sight for sore eyes in Texas

o

That is the truth. Thousands of square miles that look like the dead of winter. The green in the pics are a few hardy weeds that managed to pop up on a water run from when we got one of our half inch rains (about 2 of them in the last 9 months). Its that kind of stuff and what ever is growing under irrigation. Everything else is brown from being dead, dormant or dirt.

o

This whole mess with the unusual weather patterns this year is becoming just a bit scary to me....

In Texas & Oklahoma the ranchers are being forced to sell off most of their herds because they have neither the feed or water to sustain them while in the midwest the floods have wiped out untold thousands of acres of grain & corn, and by the time the mud dries enough they can get in the fields it is too late in the season to re-plant.

To top that off, with the new laws concerning illegal immigrants the farmers in Georgia can't get pickers to harvest their crops and I am sure Florida will soon be suffering the same problem if they are not now.

For as much as we are finding photos of that barren land interesting now, I am sorely afraid that be late summer or mid winter we will be taking photos of barren shelves in the grocery store.

o

Excellent picture, RC. I see you are as dry as we are...

Here is a little South Texas Spice.

Photobucket

Kt

o

Nice pics, both of you.
I can't imagine how you are suffering through this long hot, dry spell. Not that you have a choice, I guess.
Here, we've had some hot weather, but a whole lot of rain, too. The river is high, we'd have to wade to get to the pontoon. I so wish we could send some of it south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here