Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beach, low angled light

Posted by troutwind (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 11:10

Morning:
We were at Myrtle Beach on vacation last month and early one morning I shot these from our 8th floor balcony. The sun was low and subjects were back lit. I shot in color but changed to B&W. Treated like I was printing on high contrast film.

This was interesting
Beach walkers

But I like this one better.
Beach sitter

I should have stuck with the beach walkers longer than I did but got distracted by the reflections off the waves:
wave1

and this one
wave2

By the way. Kept the last wave in color and played with the contrast and shadow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beach, low angled light

Very interesting and beautiful light play.

o

I like the second one better, too. I wish I could see it a little smaller; it more than fills my 22" monitor, and I'd a bit of a different perspective on it.

Interesting that the fisherman in pic #1 has his own personal wave rolling in front of him.

Very cool metallic look on the last wave pic.

Nice work!

o

LOVE no. 2 and no. 4. Wish I could go to the beach!

o

Love the lighting-super like the angled view of the 1st pic with the people doing their thing, seemingly obvlivous to each other, would prefer a little wider but that would be a personal preference-2nd one like he's taking timeout to enjoy the waves and view. The waves are lovely, I can hear them rolling to and fro. The b&w works well. A nice view from the balcony!!! And like Bigack-would love to go the beach, too!!!

o

Thanks for your comments. I also like #'s 2 and 4 the best. Number 2 is my absolute favorite of any that I took in that session. It is cropped from a much larger photo which you can see more of in shot #1 which is also cropped from the original. 10.1 MP gives you some room to play with when cropping.

By the way, the camera is a Cannon EOS Rebel XS with a 75 to 300 MM lens.

Susan, here is the beach sitter photo reduced in size but I'm afraid its quality isn't as good as the original crop.

reduced size

Here is the original shot - reduced in size but it gives you an idea of where the cropping was done. I have variations in one form or another that have all figures represented but the Beach Sitter was by far the best.

uncropped

While the b&w worked on pics 1 and 2 I think now that the waves probably present better in color. I'm going to go back and play with some of them again.

o

Thanks, but it's still huge. :-)

I clicked on the first posting, and it sent me to your Photobucket account, where I viewed the shot in a small size. Normally, I'd say too small, but it gave me the perspective I was looking for. I had no idea you did so much cropping of that scene. Good eye!!

Early morning or late day sun . . . there's nothing like it for great pictures.

o

What a wonderful series. I love the beach-sitter, too!

o

Joan, Thanks. I was very happy with the photos I took that morning. I expect that to try to duplicate the conditions I'd have to stay in the same condo.

Here are a couple more waves
Building wave

Wave form

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here