Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In the box

Posted by doris_mi5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 11:03

This little bird didn't want to leave home so in the nesting box it stayed until I prodded it to leave.

Image link: In the box (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In the box

What a pretty little bird. What kind is it?

o

Looks rather shy.

Nice shot!

Julie

o

dee1. It's a bluebird. They have been nesting here for quite a few years now. I have two nesting boxes but the starlings and house sparrows compete with them for the spots. Sometimes they kill the fledglings and sometimes they will peck holes in their eggs. But they keep coming back year after year. The house sparrows built a nest in the other box this year so everything seemed to go well. They used to build in wood fence posts but the steel posts replaced them so the bluebirds become almost extinct. Now with the nesting boxes they're making a comeback

o

I have a baby blue, too, who seems to not want to leave...Its past the estimated time for fledging...I haven't seen mommie (but mayabe not visible to me) around but daddy's there...We have the same prblems with starlings and hosp...This Baby is a survivor out of 5...Hate to think of trauma it must of gone thru as a weee little one!

How did you prod it out?

o

Juanita: I just kept poking it very lightly with the end of my finger until I got it to respond it moved and peeped at me then I put the door down but didn't latch it. Sat on my porch and watched the box all of a sudden I heard a little bird up in the tree peeping I looked up and there it was. Mamma had left with the other three but papa was still around I heard him calling then they flew off together. I checked the box to be sure. I enjoy having them here but sometimes it gets hectic with the other birds.

o

Thanks, Doris...I think I may give that a try in the morning!

o

awww. What a cute little guy ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here