Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$300 or less

Posted by nanny56 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 7:16

What digital would you recommend for bird shots and Macro for flowers. Easy to use for a 51 year old beginner is a must!!! This is more complicated than I thought and am completely overwhelmed!!! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $300 or less

Camera shopping these days is pretty overwhelming. It's compounded by the fact that the models seem to change every year, like everything electronic. I'm not familiar with most of the current crop, but I can tell you that my personal experience with Olympus, Panasonic, and Canon have been excellent. Sony, Nikon, and Fuji also have fine reputations in digital cameras.

A couple of websites, DPReview and Steve's Digicams, might be helpful to you. They have a lot of reviews in various categories of cameras.

In addition, you can go to an online vendor such as B&H Photo and browse cameras by manufacturer. When you find a possibility, take a look at the complete list of specifications. Since you're interested in macros, check to see how close to the subject the camera will focus. When it comes to zoom, pay attention to the optical (not digital) zoom.

I hope these suggestions will narrow your choices just a bit. Good luck!

Susan

o
RE: Re: $300 or less

Nanny, I just discovered that the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 is under $300 now. Here it is at Amazon, a good place to buy cameras.

I recommended the FZ7 to a friend, and she is loving it. I have the 2005 version, the FZ5, which is similar, but with slightly fewer features. To see some of the photos I've taken with it, go to my Flickr pages.

I don't think you could go wrong with this camera, but if you want to keep looking I'd certainly understand. Research is half the fun. :-)

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here