Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Badlands of South Dakota...

Posted by joan_mn (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 6:46

no matter how many times I see them, I never get tired of them.

(first pic Canon Digital Rebel XTi, second pic, Canon Powershot SD1100 IS).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Badlands of South Dakota...

How beautiful, joanmn. I like the cloud shadows and the perspective in the second photo. We lived in SD for several years and it's a magical place.

o

Very cool Joan. And those do indeed look like badlands. I've found its pretty hard to capture "big" scenes well. Good job.

o

Good scenes. Any idea why they're called Badlands?

I read Pam's comment with the wrong glasses on and thought she said . . . it's a marginal place. Glad I switched glasses and re-read. :-)

o

Marginal...good one!

o

LOL alisande,
It's marginal in the winter. ;)

o

I grew up in North Dakota and seem to recall that the name actually comes from the Native Americans who lived in the area. They called it badlands and if you ever tried to walk through it you would understand! Very difficult terraine. Beautiful though. Thanks for the pictures - it's been many many years since I was there.

Kate

o

I can't imagine it in the winter. MN is tough enough! That's why we started spending winters in Florida.

o

Sort of off topic...I lived in MN, too, Joan. In Duluth. I have to say when we moved to PA and then here to NC I swore I didn't care if I ever saw another snowflake. We're native Kentuckians and were totally out of our element. BTW, my husband was with a newspaper corporation and he made me go with him. ;)

The coldest in SD was -38 and the hottest was 108. I can't imagine how enough early settlers survived to establish the state. Solstice, I admire your hardiness!

o

I live 90 miles south of Duluth. What a gorgeous place! (in the summer and fall).
We did get down to -40 actual temp once, usually not that cold, though.
Last winter in FL, we just had to put a tarp over the flowers 6 or 7 nights!

o

Solstice, I admire your hardiness!

I lived there only until I was 24, then started moving south. I'm in Orlando FL now and plan to stay here! Hardy? Not so much anymore!

Kate

o

Hello Joan,

The photos are timeless. I've never been to your place seeing those photos makes me feel great. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here