Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's give RCNaylor some sunrises and sunsets

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 23:26

The request has been made, and we're more than happy to fill it, right? Here's three from me:

Sunrise in back of my barn.....

Sunrise behind the barn

Sunset on Christmas Eve 2004. I pulled over to catch this one......

Sunset taken from Cherry Ridge

A late October sunset.....

Sunset, late October

Okay, next......?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's give RCNaylor some sunrises and sunsets

Happy to oblige,

sunset

From last Winter, which looks so refreshing now that we're having temps. in the 90's. (Minnesota land of extremes)

Photobucket

And a Maui sunset.

Photobucket

Ron

o

Photobucket

o

Nice!

It never ceases to amaze me how different the same sun can look. From warm to frigid. Radiant to sullen.

Great pics guys. Thanks for sharing them.

o

Half Moon Bay, CA on January 13, 2009 and January 13, 2008

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Stormy Florida sunset

Kate

o
another one

o

Kate, your second pic is awesome.

Ron

o

o

Beautiful everyone!!

Perhaps some of these you have seen before?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Konrad

o

Beautiful, everyone!

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Photobucket

o

All I can say is "Uhh AHH!" A great group of pics.

If you want to peruse a "few" more of mine, there is a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise and sunset pics

o

In front of my house sunset.
Photobucket

In front of my house sunset.
Photobucket

Santa Anna river bottom sunset.
Photobucket

At my place in the country sunset.
Photobucket

Outside my driveway sunset.
Photobucket

Front yard sunrise.
Photobucket

Front yard sunset.
Photobucket

'Hat' sunrise looking back toward my house from the road.
Photobucket

Kt

o

what a fun idea...these are all so pretty!

lianne :o)

o

Now, I've got to know. :) Are all these SOOC or do you do something to enhance the beautiful colors. Do you up the saturation? I wanna know how! < g >

Pam

o

Mine haven't been tampered with. I have a thing against oversaturation, which I see a lot on the Internet. I sometimes have to adjust the hue for accuracy, but that's it. I've witnessed some sunsets (like Konrad's first shot, above) where the colors look too intense to be real--but they were.

o

Mine aren't enhanced either. Typical colorful semi-tropical Florida sunsets!

o

mine either, they were taken with two different cameras...sometimes i get lucky :o)

o

Most of mine aren't enhanced. And, like mentioned above, some of the brightest ones I actually tried to tone down a little.

But, on some I do bump up what my editor calls "shadow" which has the tendency to bring out some of the colors some. But, most of the time the "real deal" I was trying to capture is more vivid than any edits I make anyway.

o

Thanks so much, everyone, for the insight. Your photos are awesome and so are the subjects. What a great thread, Alisande.
Pam

o
Last night!

We had another spectacular sunset last night! Extremely red and lots of different cloud types. Had no idea what the weather would be but ended up with a calm evening.

o

LOVE that diffuse lighting effect you had last night!

o

The only thing I adjust is the shutter speed, all else is done with the camera set on AUTO.

I take several at different speeds, then choose the one I like best.

Nice pics, everyone.

Kt

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunrise 7/3/08

Sunrise

o

Last night

June 30, 2009

I was in a rush to get to something important but snapped this not so great pic of a very nice sunset.

o

And, fwiw, this is a good pic to discuss editing on. The image above was edited some, and needs way more than I could get to approach the real sunset. While a photographer can take a mundane "scene" and jazz it up with editing, the editing to the one above is really about compensating for not capturing the real scene.

Mostly as a matter of contrast, I suppose, I didn't get the real image of the great brilliant "silver lining of the thunderhead and the halloween orange of the lower strata. Also add in the dark purple of the passing storm. I can discuss this freely because I didn't have time to even try to take great photo. Getting all those things, in my experience, is hard enough even if you have the time to try.

So, editing, when it imparts something that isn't there, can be a little , what,inaccurate? often editing helps but still doesn't make up for the difference in the image and the scene. Photographic skill, ha, and equipment. Personally, I have no reservations in trying to edit to make up for any lack of skill or luck in getting across what I was seeing/taking. I can understand if some purists see that differently.

And, here is another one from last night where the bright part (thunderhead) contrast gets blown out, but the darker parts of the pic down lower have better detail.

Photobucket

In the big picture, pardon the pun, its hard to get pure white and halloween orange in the same picture. The eye can see it, but getting the camera to capture that great of contrast, for me at least, is hard.

o

Thanks, rc,
I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts on editing the sunsets. There are times when nothing more or less than the original is wanted or needed but at other times it's just downright fun to play with something and tweak it to get what makes me happy. I am such an amateur, but like you, I have no reservations about post processing an image.

I have enjoyed this thread so much, everyone. Many times I am disappointed with my own nature shots because my image cannot convey the feeling? ambiance? at the time I snapped the picture. I need to work on telling the story. But the photos in this thread have done exactly that.
Pam

o

Two from last night while this thread is still around. Not a dazzler, but I kind of liked the nuances in the sunset one. Though maybe not easy to see on bulletin board sized pics.

D90

D90

o

The windmill silhouette is awesome! There are some real good pictures on this string everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here