Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pentax K10d Lens question

Posted by michigoose (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 22:30

I'm hoping that someone out there can help. I purchased a Pentax K10d camera body because I thought that all Pentax K series camera lenses were compatible with it. I have a Pentax K1000 which I bought in 1981 and love.

I thought I could use the leses from that on this new camera from what I read, but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone give me some insight?

If it won't, what lenses do you recommend?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pentax K10d Lens question

Contacting Pentax would seem prudent in your situation.

o

I was an old fan of the K1000, too, and have a couple of them in retirement (theirs, not mine). My understanding is that the lenses are compatible up to a point. Because they're not autofocus lenses, they can't read signals from your new camera.

There may be much more to this issue than that, but I'm afraid that's all I know. Or think I know. :-)

o

I went to the nearest camera shop (36 miles away) and found out that although Pentax touts the camera as being compatible with Pentax k series lenses, they are not compatible with ones for the Pentax K1000. The Pentax K1000 is a completely manual camera and all my lenses (obviously) are manual, not automatic.

While the lenses fit, you can't take photos with them. If you have Pentax lenses which do have an automatic setting, some of them will require you to do manual focusing (some don't have auto focus) but at least the camera will allow you to shoot with it.

So...in the long run, I'm not so sure I did so smart a thing...too bad that nothing I read made this clear. Certainly the operating manual doesn't cover it either. I can handle focusing myself, but the lenses I used on the K1000 don't work at all.

o

Seems from what I have read, that it is a nice camera.

o

I'll ditto what Crunchpa said. You may have to sink some money into new lenses, but I'll bet you get good pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here