Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The lens broke on my ELPH - what should I replace it with?

Posted by jcrowley99 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 20:44

My Cannon Powershot 230 Digital ELPH just died this morning. I need to replace it before next weekend because I will need a camera for a college visit. My first inclination is to just go out and buy the newest Cannon Powershot. Mine was a 3.2 mega pixel with 2X optical zoom. It used compact flash cards. I really liked it and it was very easy to use. My son (17) says I need higher resolution, better zoom, and one that uses a better memory device like a SD card. Can anyone make a suggestion? I usually like to research this type of purchase for a few weeks, but I don't have that luxury now. Thank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The lens broke on my ELPH - what should I replace it with?

Hello,

I've broken two Cannon Powershot SD500. The 2" display screen cracked on both. Still using the second one on Auto only.

Eric

o

The Canon A710 is nice!

o

Well, I guess I answered my own question. I went out to look over cameras today and fell in love with the Sony Cybershot T100. It looks like a great camera and seems really easy to use. I called a friend of mine to see if her husband who used to work as a professional photographer could check out the specs online. He didn't have to, he owns two! I guess that is a good enough endorsement for me, I'm going to go buy one tomorrow. He even offered to help me with anything I had questions about, but he said it is so easy to use (with a couple exceptions) that I probably can figure it out with no problem. Thanks for the input.

By the way, my Elph bit the dust in an interesting way. I was showing my husband some shots I took the day before and saw my rabbit being cute from the corner of my eye. So I switched to picture mode, adjusted the zoom (before turning so she would not stop playing with the paper bag), the turned to snap the photo. When I looked it was so badly blurred it looked like the picture was melting. So I looked at the screen, and everything I looked at looked that way! Something must come have loose, a lens I guess? If I gently shake it I can hear something rattle. The guy at the shop said I must have dropped it and jarred something loose, of course it was in my hands when it suddenly went blurry. Weird! Believe it or not, I have owned it for 5 years and never dropped it, my cell phone wishes I could say the same about it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here