Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small item photos

Posted by abeerguynamedbill (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 19:56

i am trying to take pics of some wooden pens i have made but they dont look very good...any tips out there???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small item photos

Maybe if you could post a photo, someone could make recommendations? What kind of background, lens and lighting are you using, etc?
Pam

o

i deleted them all...ill take some more in a couple of days when its too lousy to be outside and ill post all the details then...thanks bill

o

If I am understanding your project right, the first two suggestions I would make is a camera with a good macro function and image stabilization. Especially for us amateurs who don't always use a tripod to help hold the camera still on close ups, image stabilization can make a big difference.

From there, as Pam suggests, good even lightening with no part of the picture have a lot more contrast than the other parts helps alot. in other words, a part of the picture reflecting light or catching more light than the other parts.

Also helpful, and for photographers like me who don't always get those suggestions above right too often, some photo editing software. I use Picasa because its free and does most of the straightfoward kind of stuff I like to use.

o

You are probably photogaphing these pens under incandescent light. The bulb type will affect the colors. A 'soft white' bulb will be different to a clear bulb. Photo floods that run at hight temperatures will produce a better spectrum of color, but none will equal daylight. Whatever your lighting source, run a color balance on your camera under the same light, or use photo editing software to shift the color balance.

When you use atrifical light, pay close attention to shadows and even distrubution of the light. Try two lamps, a lamp on each side of the subject.

Don't have a setup? Lay the pens on the glass plate of a flatbed scanner, lay the white cover on top of them, and copy. The results may surprise you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here