Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for those using a DSLR

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 18:57

I'll almost certainly buy a Nikon DSLR at some point. For one thing, there's the matter of the nice autofocus lenses sitting in the closet with my Nikon 35mm SLR. For another thing, I love cameras. I can resist for only so long.

But while I'm waiting (and saving up my money), I'd like to have fun thinking about what I'll be able to do with a DSLR that I can't do with my present cameras. So my question is:

What DSLR do you have, and why do you love it? What makes it special to you?

Thanks, gang!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for those using a DSLR

I have a Nikon D80 that I got in January so I'm very much still in a learning curve with it. I like the variety of lenses and the options you get with different focal lengths and camera settings. I especially like the feel and heft of the camera. I said to my husband that it will probably be all the camera I'll ever need. He chuckled.

Pam

o

I have been using a Nikon D 100 for years. The main advantage to me is that all of my Nikon lenses from the older F 1 and Nikkormats work okay on the D 100. Of course autofocus did not exist when those lenses were made so yes, I had to get newer lenses but the distinct advantage of having a fixed length 24mm, 85mm or other focal length lens at times outweighs the autofocus & auto exposure abilities.

When arthritis kept me from reaching my enlarger and the smell of chemicals along with the cleaning up after a darkroom session was no longer feasible I went digital and using Adobe Photoshop added to the versatility of digital. There are numerous advantages with the newer cameras however with everything automatic the thinking process of photography has declined. Snap, click and hope for a good shot. The "I have a 4 gig card and can keep shooting, sometrhing should come out good" thinking has changed photography as I knew it. Ansel Adams would like the advantages but he would still be greatly concerned with perspective and above all the light values. Definitely missing for most picture takers of today.

o

Hi ... using my wife's call sign.

greenfinger ... I love hearing about the Nikkormat. I still have a Nikkormat EL, the last in a line of 5 Nikkormats I've owned.

But, these days, I shoot with a Nikon D80, usually with a 35mm F/2 AF prime lens since it's fairly compact and I find that I can get away without using a zoom for walk-around purposes.

To answer alisande's question, what I like about the D80 (almost any DSLR, too) versus a digital point and shoot (P&S) are:

o Instant-on. With my old P&S, you'd turn it on, but it would take a second or so before you take a shot
o Push the trigger and you've got your shot. Again, the old P&S had a shutter lag. I wasn't quite sure that I had taken the shot. Autofocus on DSLRs with their more sophisticated focusing systems is almost instantaneous by comparison to P&S cameras. This is particularly important for sports photography or taking pictures of children.
o Ability to take useful pictures in very low light. A DSLR has a sensor that's 10x the area of a P&S. That means you can take a picture at ISO 1600 without having it completely smeared by electronic noise.
o Controlling depth of field.
o Optical viewfinder. As mentioned, I'm an old SLR user. And, I've never gotten used to framing a shot with an LCD. The D80 viewfinder is a pentaprism (not quite as bright as my old Nikkormat) but beautiful by comparison to a P&S, especially in bright light.
o Special lenses (including old Nikon manual focus lenses)

There are a host of other reasons why I enjoy shooting with a DSLR versus a P&S. However, a DSLR will never be as portable as a P&S, even ones as small as the Nikon D40/40x/60.

I've attached a link that you may find helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameralabs P&S vs. DSLR

o

I'm by no means a REAL photographer - just a grandmother that was tired of trying to shoot pictures of the kids that were mostly of the back of their head by the time my digital camera fired off. I bought a Nikon D40 a year ago and although I attended a one-day seminar on how to get the most out of my Nikon, I usually just shoot using autofocus. I get great shots and love that I can rapid fire when necessary.

I also LOVE the Nikon photo editing software 'Capture NX'. It has features I haven't seen in other editors. especially the "U-point" that lets you change very specific areas of the picture without affecting other areas of the shot - brightening up a face for instance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here