SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debs3_gw

Nikon D90 or D5000

debs3
13 years ago

I have already made posted the following on the thread titled "Pentax K-7 or Canon T2i", but I want to start a new thread because the camera choices have changed. Hope you don't mind.

First, thanks to all of you for going thru this decision process with me.

Thank you Zitro Joe and Alisande. I read Ken's website and checked out the Best Buy pixel comparison. Good information. I have looked at many comparison photos and info on the internet and I do like the extra pixels for viewing and zooming in on the computer monitor. However, I just need to get closer to my subject when I want that kind of detail. I think I will be happy with a 12 mp Nikon.

I am now deciding between the Nikon D5000 with two kit lenses (18-55 mm + 55-200mm) and the Nikon 90 with one kit lens (17-105 mm). I am told the 17-105mm has better optics.

There isn't much question, based on my very limited knowledge, that I would choose the D90. I am just concerned about the weight of the camera. The salesman points out that if it is too heavy I will be less inclined to take it with me. Is this true of any of you? Does the weight of your camera cause you to leave it behind?

I really like the grip and feel of the D90. I fits in my hand better and feels more balanced. The D90 with the lens on is 10 oz heavier than the D5000 with the 18-55 mm lens, and 8 oz heavier than the D5000 with the 55-200 lens. I am not planning to take it on long trips just short outings. I have some aches and pains in my neck and shoulders, but there is a hand strap available (that I would use with either camera) instead of a neck strap.

The other things I like about the D90 besides the grip and feel are:

Better viewfinder

Larger monitor

Depth of field preview

Stronger build

Better optics in the lens

A little better in low light?

One vs two lenses

What I like about the D5000:

Lighter weight

Built-in protection for the LCD screen because it flips around

Thank you again.