Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Needs Help

Posted by Cardinalee (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 15:26

I'm trying to upgrade my camera. Have a Canon A40 (2mp) that I'm guessing is probably about 9-10 years old. I'm guessing the higher mps now should produce better quality. Bought a Canon SX100 about 6 months ago and it did not have as good quality (color and clarity) when printed as the A40 so I returned it. Recently bought a Kodak Z981 (14mp) with the same results so am taking it back. Both of these cameras were recommended as top performers by Consumer Reports. I took identical pictures with the two new cameras and the A40 for comparison. Printer and photo paper were the same. I tried adjusting the settings but it did not help. This just does not make sense to me. Both cameras I bought were in the $300 range at the time so I expected better results than from the A40. Can someone give me a simple explanation or give me suggestions for a better performer? I think I would basically like a good point and shoot and don't want to spend more than $300.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Needs Help

Could you post them and let us see the difference?

o

While I am not personally a Canon fan, I have had opportunity to shoot both a Canon SX100 and a Kodak Z981.

From my experience both of those cameras are capable of producing images that rival the quality of high end DSLR's.

I must agree with Konrad, if you could post some photos we might be able to help you out, but I doubt very seriously if the fault is in the cameras and I don't think you will resolve your problems by exchanging them for another camera.

o

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it. I will try to post pics but at the moment don't know how.
Lazypup, I suspect you are absolutely correct about exchanging the cameras. Know it's probably operator error but don't know what to do about it. Both new cameras appeared fairly straight forward in their operation so I don't get it. Will try to post again later.

o

If you can't figure out how to post pictures email them to me and I will post them for you.

LazyPup@yahoo.com

o

Thanks, Lazypup, for your kind offer to post my pics but I already returned the camera. Will let it rest for a while. I see the great photography here and on the other GW forums and, from time to time, let my allegator ambition override my hummingbird ability. Just one more thing to learn but, so many crafts/hobbies and only one lifetime. Sometimes think the hurrier I go the behinder I get. :<)

o

Maybe the problem is the printer...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here