SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Need Advice and Direction Re Machine To View Home Movies

Am starting here, b/c I have no idea where else to go....

I have miles of old family home movies left to me by my dad. I also have the cameras and projectors used in making and showing these films. They date back to the 1940's. None of the projectors work, and I am slowly having the films I care about transferred to DVDs.

However, for some of these films (8 and super 8s, mostly) there are no notes or record of what is on them and I'm not willing to pay to have them all transferred without evaluating their content.

My dad used to have a little machine that he used (in splicing, I think) that would sit on the table in front of him, with a full reel on one side, and an empty reel on the other. He'd hand wind the film through the middle section (from one reel to the other) that was a lit up window (magnified) so he could see the film. A very uncomplicated, handcrank machine for viewing film w/o using a projector. I think it plugged in, tho, for the light in the magnified window.

I'd really like to get one of these for my own use in order to look at the films and figure out what is on them.

Does anyone know what kind of machine (similar to what I described) that I need? Or of something I could use? I would like to buy something that isn't a huge investment and use it to sort through these films.

Thank you for your help

Miss Mary
(Visitor from the Gardening and Home forums)

Comment (1)

Sponsored