Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 1st dslr in the mail! Nikon d5100

Posted by njmomma (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 0:19

I'm so excited! I can't wait for it to arrive! I researched for weeks and weeks and finally made a decision (canon or nikon) and then researched lenses and finally placed my order.
Here's what I'm getting:

Nikon d5100 (body only)
Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6 ($150 off)
Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G
2 class 10 memory cards (8GB and 16GB)
and a free Lowepro camera bag

and I'm saving up for a Nikkor 16-85mm lens.

Soon I'll be snap happy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 1st dslr in the mail! Nikon d5100

Yea! I have those two lenses and love them!

Make sure you try to not use AUTO all the time. I see so many people purchase a nice DSLR and use the AUTO settings. I don't know why they bothered with the cost of a DSLR.

There are a lot of websites that can help you learn the basics. You can get SO much more out of your camera by using the manual settings.

o

Thanks! No, I'm not planning on using AUTO much. I've been watching youtube videos on how to change the ISO, shutter speed, etc... and when to change them. I also just ordered a book from amazon on how to use this camera.
Besides the 16-85mm lens I'm also saving for the 60mm macro lens. It's rated really well and I love taking macro shots of my garden.
I can't wait.

o

njmomma...I am sure you will love your new camera. It is a wonderful hobby. I just wanted to let you know that a Tamron 90mm macro lens may be a better option for you. Also a good idea for macro is to get some Kenko extension tubes.
I total agree with staying away from Auto...never have used it with mine. It is a learning curve for sure, but well worth it :)
Enjoy yourself!!

o

I recently bought the Nikon D3200 and the Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6 ($150 off). I felt the included printed User's Manual wasn't nearly as detailed as the Reference Manual (as a PDF file on an included CD and also available for download at the NikonUSA.com website). So I printed out the whole Reference Manual. It took most of my black ink cartridge, but I think it was worth it. The reference manual is now my "go to" every time I try something new with my camera.

I considered waiting for the upcoming Nikon D5200, but I needed a camera now and I don't regret my purchase. Incidentally, the D3200 compares favorably with the expensive Canon EOS 5D Mark III (at about $3500). Not bad for a sub-$700 camera including the kit lens.

ZM

o

For a macro lens that I can afford I am looking at this:

Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Have fun...

Here is a link that might be useful: Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

o

I purchased that Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens, and like it a lot. It is sharper and faster than my kit lens (18-55mm zoom VR) and the 55-300 telephoto.

I also use the 55-300 telephoto for closeups of butterflies and other "shy" creatures. Its VR feature lets me handhold it at the full 300mm setting. This closeup of a butterfly on one of my hybrid zinnias was cropped from a 300mm handheld shot, with the VR feature "on".

I use all three of my lenses about equally, so I am frequently switching lenses. The 40mm Micro NIKKOR is good for close sharp macros, and also functions as a prime lens, since it focuses to infinity just fine.

At some time in the future, when my budget allows, I will get the 85mm Micro, which has vibration reduction, and should be relatively easy to hand-hold. I also plan to get one of those right-angle viewer attachments, which let you "look down into" your camera and get convenient low-angle shots. I particularly need that for some of my macro close-ups.

The D3200 and my lenses are giving me the photographic capability that I have been wanting.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here