SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Dustset

rcnaylor
15 years ago

They say there is a silver lining to every cloud. Well, when you have sixty mile an hour winds for a couple of days, the silver lining to all that dust in the air is a golden sunset.

No color editing

Comments (15)

• ronf_gw
    15 years ago

Oh, that's great.
    You must live in the SW someplace?

Ron

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ron. And, I live out on the good ol high plains of Texas (Texas Panhandle) in Amarillo.

Our summer weather is usually delightful compared to the rest of Texas, but, we're in a bit of drought at the moment.

• jemdandy
    15 years ago

Egads! Shades of the dust bowl days.

it is a lovely composed picture, though.

• Dora Vann Snider
    15 years ago

I took one look at your beautiful pic and read your post and thought you MUST live in the Texas Panhandle. So do I.

The wind has been horrible for so long. Guess Boone Pickens is getting rich again on the wind machines!

The Panhandle has such unique beauty, doesn't it?

DL

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks DL. And, you're right, you just kind of have to look for the beauty sometimes.

Ol' Boone doesn't place too many bad bets, does he? It looks like there is going to be a gold rush on wind energy from the Panhandle the way things look.

And, the almost inch of rain that just rolled into town is nice. Wash off some of that dust!

• Dora Vann Snider
    15 years ago

So glad you all got the inch of rain last night. We live in Fritch and heard it thunder once, then it went completely around us. Lake Meredith is drying up so fast and it breaks my heart. We are just in the wrong location for any of the good moisture.

DL

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh man, I know what you mean about the lake, DL. I did a post about some pics I took of it over on the Texas Gardening forum.

Of course, its dropped over 2 feet since I took those pictures in April.

It will rain again one of these days in the Lake Meredith watershed. But, between the new lakes in New Mexico and the salt cedar, you have to wonder how much Meredith will be able to come back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lake Meredith thread

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

That photo is stunning! Great colors, great silhouettes!
    JoanMN

• Dora Vann Snider
    15 years ago

rcnaylor,

Looked at your link on Lake Meredith and it really made me want to cry! We haven't been down there yet, but need to go and take some pictures. My kids will not believe it! We live closer to Fritch Fortress.

My husband has a cousin in Borger by the last name of Naylor. Are you kin? Her husband's name was Glen. Not trying to be personal, but that is kind of an unusual name.

DL

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think the Borger clan claims us, DL. ;) Naylors in Amarillo and Hedley area will.

June, July and August are the months where Meredith needs to get its re-charge annually. I'm still hopeful, but we look to be stuck in more a continuation of that dry spell so far.

Here are a couple more pics I took yesterday.

• Dora Vann Snider
    15 years ago

How beautiful! Love our part of the country!

I used to take lots of sunrises and sunsets plus all the flowers I could find...then...we got a great-grandson and he has been my passion for the past year. Need to get back to reality, huh?

DL

• sailor86
    15 years ago

how beautiful and foreboding. This is why I love Texas.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Lovely shots!

• juanital
    15 years ago

Love the color and composition in all three...Nice!

juanita

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Oh my, those are phenomenal shots! I'm so sorry to read of your lake drying up. We can relate to drought out here in So.Cal. I'm in an area with more winter rain, even snow, but once spring comes everything dries up fairly rapidly. And the fires - ugh!

I think you ought to submit that first pic to NG. It truly speaks a thousand words. : )

Diana

Sponsored