Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question? Is this a

Posted by doris_mi5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 18:59

woodpecker? Or what? I don't really know.

Image link: Question? Is this a (31 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question? Is this a

Hi Doris,

I think it's a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, male.

A woodpecker would have a longer, thinner, sharper beak.

I've been hoping to see one of those in Wisconsin, but haven't yet. The Grosbeak sings like a Robin.

Thanks for sharing the photo!

Julie

o

Nice picture. I have never seen one of those around here. I'm glad people are posting pictures again. They are all so good.

o

Yep, rosey grosbeak. I've seen a couple here, they're beautiful!

o

Yep, yep, yep--Rose breasted grosbeak! We have spotted one yesterday, but not at feeders-that would be awesome though! So cool you get them there...What do you put out to get them to come in?
Since dh has been off work for a few days, we have been bird watching around our place alot...chat-grosbeak-swallows-meadow lark-blue birds-tanagers...Downy and Red Bellied woodpecker frequent the suet cakes....We have a robin nesting on our back porch-near door-4 eggs...We use that door more now that it's getting warmer, for the most part try to avoid because of her and eggs but walking from the front to back and with all the traffic we have here not able to do so. I for one, since our dryer is on blink, I'm hanging clothes out till we get time to fix...then of course we have those annoying house sparrows...they are non natives and are quite aggressive...

juanita

o

Yep..a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. Last week, we had 5 males and 3 females pass through. They stayed about a week.

o

Thanks everyone. Cannot recall seeing one before. I bought a big bag of bird seed at Wal-Mart and have been getting all kinds of birds.Even those I don't like. Crows and blackbirds. They're too agressive. I have been getting a baltimore oriole at the hummingbird feeder. I have a hard time getting pictures of anything I don't have a very good camera.

o

Here they show up the same time as the hummingbirds. So far, I've only seen one, or at least one at a time. They love our sunflower seeds.
JoanMN

o

Haven't seen this one since I took the picture until today. He brought a friend with him but the friend was scared of the big crows that were here so flew away but I saw a little tiny wren put it's little beak on the big beak. That was so cute.

o

Beautiful birds,...nice pictures!
They come far north into Canada, but have never seen one.
Konrad

o

What a pretty bird. I love it's pretty colors. I've never seen one here in Michigan. I would love to see them here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here