SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Wild Apple Trees

lazypup
13 years ago

About the last week in April I took a long hike in a woods near my home looking for early spring wild flowers. I went a little further into the woods than I had ever been before and I came across a small clearing. On one end of the clearing I found the crumbling moss covered remains of what had once been a small house foundation, and when I say small, that is an understatement. The actual size of the foundation is 18x 21ft. Along one side of the foundation there is a huge area of climbing roses that have climbed up about 20ft into the brush and trees and on the other side their was a patch of daffodils that by now covers an area nearly as big as the foundation itself. Looking around I found the remnants of some rusty corrugated sheet metal roofing, a few broken mason jars and one old rusted out kerosene lantern. Not a sign of a fireplace or chimney, nor was there any sings of the house ever having any plumbing in it.

But what really caught my eye was an apple tree at the far end of the clearing. As I approached it I realized it was not just one tree, but four or five apple trees that have by now split and fallen, but they still seem to have plenty of life in them as you can see from the attached photos.

About a week after taking these photos I ran into the lady who currently owns the property and she told me that the house was abandoned in about 1935.

Comments (4)

Sponsored