Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Apple Trees

Posted by lazypup (lazypup@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 18:08

About the last week in April I took a long hike in a woods near my home looking for early spring wild flowers. I went a little further into the woods than I had ever been before and I came across a small clearing. On one end of the clearing I found the crumbling moss covered remains of what had once been a small house foundation, and when I say small, that is an understatement. The actual size of the foundation is 18x 21ft. Along one side of the foundation there is a huge area of climbing roses that have climbed up about 20ft into the brush and trees and on the other side their was a patch of daffodils that by now covers an area nearly as big as the foundation itself. Looking around I found the remnants of some rusty corrugated sheet metal roofing, a few broken mason jars and one old rusted out kerosene lantern. Not a sign of a fireplace or chimney, nor was there any sings of the house ever having any plumbing in it.

But what really caught my eye was an apple tree at the far end of the clearing. As I approached it I realized it was not just one tree, but four or five apple trees that have by now split and fallen, but they still seem to have plenty of life in them as you can see from the attached photos.

About a week after taking these photos I ran into the lady who currently owns the property and she told me that the house was abandoned in about 1935.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Apple Trees

This was a great find,.. you have mostly pear pictures, the first three, then you have a plum, the last picture with tent caterpillars is a apple. Oh..did I see right?...looks like your image sensor has some dust particles?

Konrad

o

great picture
Anna

o

I love these photos, though the caterpillar one makes me say "Ewwww!" a little bit!

o

A brown thrasher will eat tent catepillars. They use those to feed a nest of young. If you do not have brown thrashers in the vicinity, then you'll have to deal with these pests yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here