Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inexpensive Digital camera with low shutter lag

Posted by genes (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 12:46

This is mostly a question for my 25 yr old granddaughter..She currently has a 4yr old Canon Powershot (Dont have the exact model handy)and also is the mother of two small girls...she would like to update her camera to a nother digital but with a lot less shutter lag than what she has now..Looking around online I guess that would mean a DSLR type..She is not rich, so would like to know if there is something out there in a $300-350 dollar range..she would hopefully like to take a pic then bang, take another..Any suggestions or is the price range just apipe dream...thanks Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inexpensive Digital camera with low shutter lag1

Never mind, she got a Canon Powershot ELPH 320HS...We shall see how happy she is with that..it apparently has a pretty low shutter lag...thanks anyhow..

o
RE: Inexpensive Digital camera with low shutter lag

Glad to hear found something suitable! As I understand it too be, p&s's aren't quite as fast as dslr's. That was one of my problems with shooting with the grandkids-I realized another thing for blurry pics was because they moved to fast before the camera had a chance to focus. The Oly 510 I had, had shutter lag really bad. It was frustrating at times. Let us know how your daughter likes it!

o

In that price range, the Canon PowerShot S-series IS cameras have some of the least focus time and shutter lag. You do have to allow time for the focus sysem to work, but after that, shutter lag is negleible. Time to be ready for the next shot is small too.

Tip: This camera allows a small delay after the shot to display the result to let the user know if he/she got the shot. This delay is adjustable. Turing it down or off shortens the time to be ready for the next shot.

This camera uses a fast processor. It boots fast. Time from turn-on to ready to shoot is about one to two seconds.

o

Just from my own real life experience as the mother two toddlers, I can tell you I own over $3000 worth of DSLR body and lenses. My best shots of my kids actually come from my Nikon Coolpix S8100 (under $200). I'll give you the lag time is more than my fancy DLSR. And yes, when I have time to pull the DLSR out I can get a much better photograph, but I can stick my Coolpix in any bag I am taking anywhere and it is always with me. So I get all the candids. My DLSR is bulky (and my kids come with enough baggage already.

I love my DSLR, don't get me wrong, I have it for many other reasons, but if she is looking for great shots of her child, a fairly easy point and shoot is way more practical.

Kalindi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here