SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Lens size and noise - what are they?

jenswrens
15 years ago

I am a complete photography newbie/dummy, and I'm looking for a new camera. I had the Canon Powershot A85, which I loved. It took fabulous pics with great color. When it died and I found it was discontinued, I got the Canon Powershot A700, which I really do not like. No matter what settings I use, the color and image quality are just not right, compared with the pics I took with the older camera. The color never looks like what I see with my eyes.

What is noise? Is this why my new photos look like crap when my old ones didn't?

I mostly take photos of gardens, flowers and interiors. I would love to have a camera that would take a wide-angle shot. I've looked at the new Panasonic wide-angle (cheaper) models, but I really don't understand what the mm lens size means. There are 24mm, 28mm, 30mm, 33mm, 35mm.... Is smaller bigger? Is bigger wider? I can't wrap my brain around it at all. I don't want to spend over $400. I just want a simple camera that I can control that takes true-color photos, and maybe a wide angle (but not the panorama thing that you have to then match-up together because I'm not coordinated or patient enough to bother.) Is it out there for me?

Comments (5)

Sponsored