Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a camera question..I need help

Posted by mscsippy (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 9:44

Hello, I don't think I've ever posted here, but I recognize a few names from other GW forums.

The past two weeks when I've put photos from my Canon Digital Rebel XT onto Photobucket they have taken forever to load. I had never had a problem with Photobucket before, although I've heard a lot of others complain about problems. I tried to post some photos of a tournament on a message board and they were huge. I went back to PB and checked the properties. It showed every picture was approximately 2240 x 1493 instead of the usual 640 x 480 that it has been for years. I looked and looked for a place to resize the photos as a group, but couldn't find one. I resized them one at a time and I had over 200 photos. That took a long time.

I had some more photos to upload yesterday from another tournment. I decided to use Firefox to upload them to PB to see if that made a difference. It didn't. They are still huge.

My question,actually, two qusetions, are is there a setting that I may have in-advertently changed on my camera to cause this problem or does anyone here know of a way to change the sizes of the huge photos at Photobucket to the preferred size?

Thank you for any suggestions you have concerning this problem.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a camera question..I need help

Hi Linda,

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help, but here goes. The 2240 x 1493 is an appropriate size for images coming out of your camera. You wouldn't want to change them to 640 x 480 in the camera because you wouldn't be able to print them at that resolution.

So the question becomes whether or not Photobucket automatically resizes them upon uploading. I wasn't aware that they ever did this, but they must have if you remember uploading without resizing.

I keep a folder on my desktop of resized photos for emailing and uploading to Photobucket and Flickr. I've never tried to upload a full-size file. However, it's easy to resize photos that are already on Photobucket. Just click on Edit (right above the image), then Resize, and follow the instructions. There's a preset 640 x 480 that you can use if you like.

Hope this helps.

Susan

o

Hi Susan, thanks for the reply. A few years ago I used to reaize my photos to post them at KT and other forums, then one day I didn't have to anymore. I think they were actually a little larger than 640 x 480, but whatever they were, they worked just fine on the forums without me resizing. The past couple of weeks they have been so large that you can only see a portion of each one at a time when posted. I was hoping I had accidently changed a setting on my camera that caused it since I couldn't find a place at PB to preset the sizes.

I've been resizing them one by one at PB, but with these tournaments there are usually a couple of hundred or more to post at a time for the Taekwondo web site. It just takes so long to do it the way I'm doing it. I don't know why it changed, but I miss the old way.
Thanks again my friend.

Linda

o

I know people do batch resizing in Photoshop and other photo editing programs, but I don't know how......

o

Just to let you know, I heard from Photobucket. I use the paid version. They told me that they recently updated the paid version and at that time set my default size setting at 4000 x 3000. They also told me that the place to set the sizes is just under where you click to upload a photo. It's listed as other options. Mystery solved.

Thanks again Susan for responding to my post.
Linda

o

Good to know, Linda. Ever the cheapo, I use the free version. (However, I do pay for Flickr Pro!) Glad you got it straightened out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here