Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What is this artifact?

Posted by jenswrens (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 9:42

This is not my house - it is a photo I borrowed from the web to show artifact. Do you see it? What is it called?


My question is: did this artifact come from the camera itself or did it happen during post-processing or uploading? This was taken with a Nikon D40, and a lot of photos I looked at (on the web) from that camera had this artifact. If it's from the camera, it's unacceptable to me.

I also saw it in photos taken with the Rebel XT, XTi and G3. I mostly see it in the interior shots - which is what I'm wanting to shoot better, hence my search for a new camera. The thing is, I don't remember ever noticing it in photos taken with my little P&S, so I'm wondering if it's from uploading or the SLRs or what. Here's another example:


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What is this artifact?

What exactly are seeing? "Artifact" is a very generic term in digital photography, if I want to be picky I can find several artifacts in those pictures. Just asking...

However, in the first picture what jumps out at me is the picture distortion. That is caused by the barrel effect. I didn't try to look at the exif data, but this most likely the kit lens. Kit lenses, as good as they may be sometimes, are usually in the lower end in the quality line. (1)The focal length is probably at it's widest length, that is where the barrel effect is most noticeable. (2) The angle of the picture, the picture was not taken in the middle of the room so he/she is closer to on wall than another. It is amplifying the effect of the distortion.


RE: What is this artifact?

At first, I thought "artifact" as in an archaeological or historical item. Then, I read Zjoe's comments and understood what you meant.

A digital SLR camera is capable of using interchangeable lens. A very wide lens normally creates piture distortion as Zjoe explained. If you don't want it, then simply use a normal zoom range lens.

As for the 2nd photo, are you talking about the blurred background? If you are, it is done so the subject is stand out and is the focus point of the photo. This shot is achieved by setting a small aperture to show a less depth of field (DOF). Again, if you want a long depth of field which shows more background, simply set the aperture to a higher number.

Basically, both photos were probably taken intentionally "as is" and it's not a download or digitized effect.

With a digital SLR, you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. That is for mostly, with the companion of whaterever lens and flash you'd be using.

Sorry, I don't know if I helped you or not. Perhaps, you'd need to be more specific with what area of the photo you meant by "artifact".


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here