Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
photo printer

Posted by phrog (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 7:30

Has photo inkjet print quality improved in the last decade?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 inkjet, 6 colors, that's about 9 years old.

I've been considering upgrading to a Canon Pixma Pro9000, so I can do larger prints, but I wonder how the images themselves will compare.

Is it just a size upgrade, or a significant quality upgrade too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: photo printer

I spent a lot of time on the printing forum at DPReview and read many complaints about Epson inks drying up and clogging if the printer isn't used every day. I also read lots of high praise for the Canon 9000 (and it gets great reviews on Amazon and elsewhere).

I considered that model, as well as a big HP, but decided to wait and do my better prints with mpix.com for now.

I don't know how the images will compare for you because I'm not familiar with your original printer.

o

Yes, I haven't had any luck finding articles on the topic of whether PQ in general has improved over the years.

o

Well, they have better types of inks now, but some are specific to certain printers. I didn't pay too much attention to those discussions because I was primarily interested in greyscale. My focus was on my dad's negatives from the 1940s.

But from the reputation of your new printer, I'd say chances are you'll be more than pleased with the output.

o

The interesting thing is that every high-end printer I read about gets lots of praise but also some very negative comments. There are people who claim the 9000 failed on the first day or was DOA.

Hard to know if it's poor QC at the factory, or misuse by the owner.

o
R.E: photo printer

I'm sure that's a factor. This sort of thing seems to be common with a lot of electronics. I certainly encountered it when I was shopping for a scanner. I try to keep in mind that people are more likely to be motivated to post a review if they are unhappy with the product. That tends to skew the ratings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here