Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thistle

Posted by kentuck_8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 22:37

Thistle seeds,...ready for launch in the wind.

Kt

Image link: Thistle (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thistle

Oooooo, how'd you get that picture so clear?

What kind of thistle is it?

Did the seed come from a flower that was purple?

Fantastic!

Julie

o

Kt,

That is a very nice pic, now go burn it. I'm talking about the weed. That thistle seed head looks just like our dandelion seed head.

I like!
Eric

o

OK, since Eric already said it, I think it's a dandylion seed head too. But, it's still a great picture! I love it!

o

Thanks, All, but it's definitely NOT a dandelion. Thistles have very similar but usually smaller puffs like the one above.

Yes, they are weeds, but can usually be controlled by shredding.

The flower was yellow, though most thistles here bloom purple or white.

Kt

o

Kt, not to be a thorn in your side, could you photograph the leaves.

Eric

Canadian Thistle
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Nice close-up, Eric! That looks somewhat like our Russian Thistles down here. There are several different kinds here, but most have common names or, are simply just called thistles.

I took the above photo at our place in the country. I couldn't find any here at my house after work today. I will post one with leaves as soon as I find one.

The blooms on some varieties are up to FIVE inches across! The one in your photo looks to be about one inch?, which is more common here also.

Kt

o

Great shot, KT!
nice shot too, Eric...
Don't know for sure what thistle seed heads look like but they have sharp thingys on the leaves...I'm assuming from thistles seed we have out for the birds...since I don't like sharp stuff I tear them out...

o

Kt,
What you might have is Hairy Cats Ear ( False Dandelion) ??????????????????????

We have alot of these on the property.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Hairy Cats ear

o

Eric, the dandelions here are called Texas Dandelions aka False Dandelions(Pyrrhopappus carolinianus). Here is a photo. Is is not what I took the "thistle" photo from, but I did post a picture of it's seed head in another post, check it out.

Kt

o

It's not a dandelion. A dandelion seed has a slender, smooth stem ending at its top with a parasol like shape.

I don't think that it is a goat's beard either, but I have to check for identifying characterestics to say for sure.

o

Once again, it's a "Texas" Dandelion aka "False Dandelion"(Pyrrhopappus carolinianus).

Not the same as those you have in the north.

Kt

o

Kt,

Another nice close up.

It's interesting how different parts of the country have different names for the same plant, or close relative. Common names are all over the board and most people don't know the botanical name, I for one!

Anywho, keep showing the great photos.

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here