Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for all. Is it just my computer?

Posted by hippy (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 22:21

Since I installed the program for my camera (Pentax *ist DL) I have noticed something weird. I did not notice it before the install so it may be something in Windows XP that I had never paid much attention to.

Let's say that I save a photo from a web site which I did a few from here today to show as an example.

When I open "My Documents" and hold the pointer on the photo I get this type of information from the photo.

Take Eric's photo titled "Sunset on Toulouse #2" for an example.

Date Picture Taken: 4/1/2007 6:28 PM
Camera: Cannon Power Shot SD500
Dimensions: 800 x 1045
Type: JPEG
Size: 194 KB

It does not matter what the photo is of or where it came from. The same type of information shows up.

Another example. One of my DD's was checking into Bindi Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin's daughter) and a new show that she is planning with Nic. When I thought I would use one for another example.

Picture Taken:8/16/2005 9:14AM
Camera: Fuji Finepix S7000
Dimensions: 450 x 600
Type: JPEG
Size: 167 KB

This is the Photo that the above information came from.

Note the date the photo was taken was back on Aug-18-2005.

Does all computers running Windows XP do the same thing? Or is it something with my camera's programming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for all. Is it just my computer?

Mine does it. I also have Windows XP.

Kt

o

Mine does it as well, it's a slight summary pulled from the exif information. If you right click the saved photo > properties> Summary> Advanced. You will find more information abou the photo, if there is any. I have a program that allows me to see the exif even if the photo is not saved to my hard drive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opanda Exif viewer

o

i have XP and only get Dimensions, type and size on mine

o

minnie, does your camera support exif data? Do you do any editing when you download the picture to the computer?

o

Its a Win XP thingy. This feature showed up on my computer after I upgraded from Win98 SE to Windows XP. The information is stored in the header of the photo file and can be displayed by WinXP so long as the original file format remains. Often, processing a photo file(adjusting colors for example) and then rewiting the file eliminates the header information unless the editing software is designed to retain the header. So you may have photo files that will display the header and some that may not.

This is one of the reasons you should NEVER write a file to a memory card that is used by your camera. It contains special formatting peculiar to your particular camera. Writing to the card with something other than the camera itself may upset the card format.

o

Thanks for the replies.

It also shows the Exif data if I Right click the photo, Properties and then Summary.

Like I stated. It was something that I had not noticed until I installed my cameras program.

o

I just upload from my camera and save as a jpeg If I want to edit I go into XNView I have several photo programs loaded but never use them.

o

Ha, I've had winxp for a couple of years, I never knew you could see the exif that way!
Cool, thanks.
JoanMN/FL

o

hippy and zitro joe
I just did the procedure with a photo that I hadn't edited or resized yet and did get the same type info this time it said Date taken and also type of camera (Cybershot)
I guess I usually resize a lot and that is what I was looking at to begin with. just found out and wanted to clarify.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here