Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your creative process/steps ?

Posted by mmkmmk (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 20:07

I am new to the digital world, but I have always loved photography.

I feel very "uncoordinated" in the steps AFTER I take a photo. We just came back from Hawaii and I am trying to get organized on the steps I need to take. I feel like there must be an easier way then what I am thinking - I haven't attempted it yet, and maybe I am making it harder than it has to be. (?)

I have the photos in a file in "my photos". Out of the 150 or so, I need to go through and delete any of the ones that I know I don't want to keep.

Then I need to decide which ones I will print. I use Costco - not a home printer. I will be enlarging some to frame.

Would I put them all in a file in Photoshop and go throught them and edit them, then when it comes to Costco do I take them from the photoshop file? I hope you know what I mean when I say I just don't know in what order I should do things, so that I am not duplicating steps. I feel like this is taking me soooo long to do.

Do I only use Photoshop on the ones that I am editing? Then I would have 2 files and that seems awkward and difficult to keep straight.

So I am interested in how you organize yourself.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your creative process/steps ?

I normally just use MS Office Picture Manager that comes with MS Office 2003 package. I like this tool because it's simple and easy for editing. It also allows you to crop, compress, resize and rename files in batches.

Then, I would burn the selected photos on a CD and just bring it to a local 1-hour photo for prints.

Be awared that some of their machines don't like file names that are not continous or have some of these: *, &, %, #, etc.. In other words, if you rename the jpg files, use only alphabets and numbers and run them together without any spacing.

o

This is what I do because 1. saves space on computer hard drive 2. never lets the original photo be damaged.

I take the memory card to Woodmans and get a CD (only a CD not prints) made. Cost $2.00. Bring the Cd home and run the photos I like thru Photoshop. Put the photos I want prints made of into a flash drive and take to be printed or sometimes just upload to Snapfish. Then I file the CD somewhere with all the photos. Only the ones I put into Photoshop are on my hard drive.
Marnie

o

Because I'm teaching a beginning digital photography class this week (one time only, for seniors), I asked about people's storing/editing procedures on another forum. I was surprised at the wide range of preferences.

Like Bean Counter, I put my photos on a CD commercially (Walmart). But first I use a card reader to upload them to Photoshop, where I resize selected images and save them to a CD for emailing or uploading to my Flickr or Photobucket pages.

If you save selected images to bring to Costco for printing, do not resize them. Save them onto a CD in their original size.

Good luck! You'll figure out what works best for you eventually. :-)

Susan

o

One thing I found out, after I switched to digital is to burn my own CD's on my computer at home. Or if you cannot do that, make sure wherever you take them to be put on a CD has the capacity to store them in the same size your camera shoots them. Walmart resizes the size of your file to a much smaller file. For example, I shoot with a Canon Digital EOS Rebel XT (8.1 megapixels), and I shoot on the largest file size. When I download my photos, they are usually between 3 and 4 megabytes for each photo. When Walmart finishes burning your CD,each picture is downsized to less than 2 megabytes. At least that is how they used to be, unless they have upgraded their system. So anyway...my point is to be very careful that wherever you take them they burn them AS THEY ARE!!!

o

I bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 to make music CDs and just recently started using the photo section of it and I love it. I print my own and also started printing some of my favorite travel photos to hang, 8X10s, 5X7s, etc.. I needed some pictures to decorate with and thought why not use my own. I am doing a picture frame that holds 9.... 4 X 6 pictures of the Panama Canal to hang. I will put them in the order that we went through the Canal. I do not enhance them to make the picture prettier, I like them to be natural, just like it was.

I don't take them to be printed because they often crop them to the size you want and they crop parts I don't want cropped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here