Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Battery Charger - What does 'Back' and 'Front' mean?

Posted by subrosa (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 12:42

Have received a new digital camera - never had one before. The camera is signaling low battery. The recharger that came with the camera has the words, 'BACK' and 'FRONT' above the battery slots. What does this mean? Inside each battery slot there is a spring at one end and a flat metal piece on the other. I'm guessing the flat part of the battery should press against the spring.

I don't want to damage the batteries or charger so hope someone can set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Battery Charger - What does 'Back' and 'Front' mean?

Are there any instructions in your camera user manual?

A charger marked "Back" and "Front" seems unusual to me. All my chargers are marked "+" and "-" matching the polarity markings on the battery. But WAIT. What kind of battery do you have? Is it a L-ion (Lithium ion) tpye perchance shaped to fit only your camera? Also known as a propertiary battery. Perhaps the part of the battery that faces forward as installed in the camera is called front, and the part facing to the back is labeled "Back". This is only a guess. It is best that you don't guess but look up the instructions in the camera manual or the charger manual. If these instructions are missing, you could contact your camera dealer to get this clarified. Another approach is to go on-line and search for the manufacturer's web site of your equipment.

Good chargers check for reversed polarity and will not supply current if it senses a reversed battery. However, this assumes that the battery to be charged is not totally dead but has enough charge that can be detected by the polarity sensing circuit.

Pushing current in the forward direction of a depleted NiCad cell will cause it to short and then it can never be charged again.

o
RE: Battery Charger - What does 'Back' and 'Front' mean?

jemdandy
Thanks for your detailed reply. I have instructions but they do not mention the battery charger. I have searched the internet with no success. It is a Vivitar ViviCam 6326. I will take the charger to the camera shop for their expertise just to be safe.
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here