Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird in a barrel...

Posted by juanital (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 7:58

This little bird stayed until I stepped closer...THis was also with VFW Memrial...it's from a naval ship and don't know the name of it...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird in a barrel...

Now THAT'S a bird house!

o

My kids had a ball on one of those at the local VFW post. It was not welded so that it could not move. One would sit on one side and work the traverse (left and right) and the other would work the elevation (up and down) making the gun barrel move in all directions. They have since came and got it and replaced it with a much smaller yet similar type of gun. When they sat it on the stand, they welded it all up so that nothing would work on it.

Not sure which model of Anti-aircraft gun it is or the shell size. It looks like a 75 MM. They were placed in shallow pits along coast lines and around military bases to protect against bombers.

A funny thing I have learned about such displays. When WW2 ended. The military had so much equipment left over that they did not know what to do with it. So they LOANED it to cities/towns, originations like the VFW, museums and such. The ones receiving the items for display had to build a place for it to be displayed. Get the word loaned. The US Government could at any time come and get the item without giving a reason. That is why that you rarely ever see and old piece of military history such as a combat tank or Amour ed Personal Carrier up for sale by anyone, Just small vehicles such as Jeeps, Hummers and trucks. If you do buy such an item. It is a long hard task for the seller to prove that they actually do own the item. Yet you can buy military equipment from countries as Russia, Poland, France, Britain etc etc through brokers and private individuals for once the equipment is used up or released from military duty the government of that country sales it to brokers whom will resale the stuff to just about anyone.

I know that I am a little crazy. But I have always wanted a Russian BMP ever since I saw one while in Germany on border patrol duty.

They can be found in great shape and with very little wear for sale for as little as $25,000 to $40,000 US.
Small price to pay for something to play with that cost about $600,000 when new.. lol

o

Well, Hippy, that ought to make the discussions with friends and neighbors about who is right go a little more your way. :)

o

What a chuckle!

o

How cute!...a very long birdhouse!
Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here