Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Critique these photos

Posted by central_cali369 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 0:32

Here are some photos I took and i was looking for someone more experienced to critique them. So have at it!

Palms against a sunset

Opuntia and California poppies

Another Desert Scene

Succulents and bulbs among rocks

Canna flowers

Echeveria 'Ramilette'

Echeveria 'Lola'

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Critique these photos

They're gorgeous, I love the first two especially!

o

#1. Palms against sunset

Very good shot
o Composition Good
o Color Good

#2. Opuntia & California Poppies

The hose and drip lines distract, but were likely unvoidable.

Use fill-in fladh to lighten the deep shadows of the nearest cactus clump

Too much barren foreground.

#3. Another Desert Scene

Good.

#4. Succulent & bulbs among rocks

OK

#5. Canna Flower

The blossom is the main subject and is slightly out of focus. Try using manual focus. Sharp focus begins with the hard edged big leaf behind the blossom.

#6. Echeveri Ranulette

This is a nice subject, but a difficult shot because the required depth of field is beyond technical reality. The depth of field can be increased by using smaller lens opening, but will result in slower shutter speed. If the shutter speed gets slower than 1/00 or maybe 1/60 sec, consider using a tripod.

#7. Echeveri Ranulette

Well done! The slash of blue adds interest.

o

Hi CC -

Palms against sunset

Beautiful! Very appealing shot

Opuntia & California Poppies

Informative (nice to know what these things look like), but it doesn't succeed very well as art. The hose, etc., is a no-no, and the composition is lacking. Plus, as you'll hear me say again, you have too much contrast.

Another Desert Scene

I like this one better, but not as well as . . .

Succulent & bulbs among rocks

I like the arrangement of the parts, especially the addition of the antler (?). But I think this shot, like most of the others, suffers from too much "light and bright." I realize that direct sun is part of any desert scene, but I would like to see it toned down a bit.

Canna Flower

What Jemdandy said.

Echeveri Ranulette

I like this shot, and I agree with Jemdandy that depth of field is a problem. But I don't see why it should be, with the subject bathed in so much light. I would think you could close down the aperture without sacrificing much shutter speed.

Echeveri Ranulette

Very nice shot (is this your garden?), but again I'd like to see that strong light tamed. Your succulent verges on being blown out. Do you ever have cloudy days? :-)

What camera are you using? Have fun with your beautiful photo ops!

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here