Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first 'real' shoot

Posted by ashelton80 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 0:05

I got a chance to practice portrait stuff on my girlfriends cousins kids....let me know your honest critique!!!

IMG_0730IMG_0723

IMG_0715IMG_0755
IMG_0749IMG_0629

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first 'real' shoot

Well, I know nothing about shooting people professionally, Ash, but, I like.

o

#1 and 2: The child's head is backlighted and the face dark. Could have used a fill in light or flash.

#3: Not good

#4: OK. The background is difuse and does not detract from the subject, a good technique.

#5: Just ok.

#6: Lighting problem. The face is the main subject and it is too indistinct. Could have made use of fill-in light or reflector. This is a difficult lighting situation. If you expose for the face, the background will be a white-out and will probably ruin the feeling of the photo. You are correct in positioning your subjects such that the bright sun does not cause them to squint and be uncomfortable, but as shown by these shots, you have to somehow deal with the resulting lighting.

o

Number 5 is my favorite, I like the pose, expression and lighting.
I agree you need a fill flash if the sun is behind them, Andy.
Very cute kids, for sure, they make great models!
JoanMN/FL

o

I too like number 5 the best, a neat angle! Yes, I use fill flash outdoors, it does help.

o

do you use the onboard flash, or an attachment? i tried my onboard on a few shots and it looked too weird....light coming from the back, and a lit up face looked way unnatural...

A

o

You can enhance all of those photos using a computer program if so desired, but I like them the way they are.

Great shots!

Kt

o

Andy, did you try turning down the flash?
JoanMN/FL

o

Nice shots...llike 4&5 best!

o

Nah, didnt try that Joan...im such a noob to people photography that it didnt occur to me....hardly EVER use the flash...

Oh well....they're young....I'll have more practice! :)

A

o

Wouldn't diffuse flash works well in this backlit situation?
It should bright up the face but not giving the flat look of a direct flash, is that right?

I've also seen my friends using external flash detached and hold it to the side in order not to get direct flash.

By the way, I just bought one of those diffuse box to put over the pop up flash. It works great and soften the light a bit too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here