Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?'s about photo quality on new camera

Posted by superchick (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 23:37

This is my first time on this forum (I'm usually over at the home/decorating forums!)and hope that someone can help me. I recently replaced an expensive Sony digital camera (it got stolen) with a compact Canon elph 800IS. I realize that I won't get the same quality as I had with the bigger camera, but I was expecting a little bit better results that I seem to be getting. When I download pics onto my computer, they don't seem very sharp. I've tried changing some settings, but they all look pretty much the same. Most all the pics I've taken so far are indoors, of my home. I'm just not very satisfied with the sharpness-can someone help me or am I expecting too much from this little camera? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?'s about photo quality on new camera

Any way that you can post one or two of the problem images?

Or if you dont have the time or place to store them to post, email me a couple at: ashelton1980@comcast.net and I can stick em up here for ya so others can offer theories and suggestions.

It helps to actually SEE the image...

My first thought would be "Do you have the image stabilization turned on?". Ive gotten so used to a bigger camera, that I shake like a caffeinated chihuahua when I use my small sony P&S camera...

Anywho, hopefully we can see a pic soon, and get ya helped! :P

A

o

What Ash said. Make sure the IS is on with little cameras they are harder to hold steady.

Also, my Canon has an indoor setting. You might want to check that one out since it seems to be your main use (if yours has it). The pre-sets for lower light, etc might make a big difference.

o

I agree with the above comments. It would help to see a pix but most blurry images are due to camera movement. Are you using a flash? I read the camera specs and it does have stabilization, read your manual to find out how to turn it on. In low light try to minimize hand shake by bracing your hands on a chair back, door jamb, table top, whatever.

Sometimes I miss my hefty old slr's, light weight cameras tend to shake more than heavier ones, for me anyway.

o

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I'm just now replying...

I will check on the indoor setting. I'm pretty sure that the IS stays on, but I'll check on it as well.

Let me clarify myself by saying that the images aren't blurry, they are just not as "crisp" as my old camera. I guess I'm wanting 35mm quality. Is that possible? I'll see if I can get some pics posted. Thanks again.

o

Higher priced cameras usually have better lenses. And, as they say, its the glass that counts in mosts cameras. So, that probably explains alot of what you are seeing.

But, a noticeable amount of that can be reduced with the suggestions above AND some photo editing (either in the camera on in the computer) about adding sharpness, shading, etc.

What you might be noticing is that without a top quality camera we have to work a little harder sometimes. ;)

o
RE: ?'s about photo quality on new cameraII

Okay, I took a pic with the indoor setting...

Photobucket
And here's one just on normal setting.
a href="http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/superchick_album/?action=view¤t=IMG_0195.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
It's actually better than the indoor setting. Neither one is great in my opinion. I'm hoping this camera does better outside or it's going back to Walmart!!

o
RE: ?'s about photo quality on new cameraIII

FWIW I took some pics outside and they were okay. Then I looked at the "In the Market" post and saw bird photos and I'm thinking I need to get a different camera!!! I wanted a smaller pocket camera, but those photos with the Canon S3 are GORGEOUS!!!

o

Probaly a no brainer, but check your lens to see if maybe it has a fingerprint or smudge on it.

Also I noticed that the indoor pics had a slow shutter speed of 1/60, so more than anything, its probably camera shake making the pics not so clear.

A

o

Oh..have you set it on the highest pixel setting?
Konrad

o

thanks again for the replies. I changed setting after setting, and decided that it just wasn't a big enough camera for what I wanted to do. I returned it to Walmart, much to their dismay...

Did some research online and found Dell had the Canon S5 IS for $289. My local Office Max matched the price, so I got (I think) a much better camera for just about $40 more! :) I'm quite pleased with the pics so far, but have yet to really try it out.

o

I have the older Canon S2 IS and found that it tended to burn out highlight using the default "auto" settings. I got improved results by moving the ASA from 80 to 100, and reducing exposure by 1/3 F stop. There are settings in the menus for this. However, in my camera, these settins are not adjustable in the "auto" mode; The mode setting must be turned to "p" (program) and then the ASA and exposure can be adjusted. These adjustments will stay until changed again. The adjustments will stay even when the camera is turned off, and then on later. Just remember to set the mode dial to "P" to use the adjusted settings.

I have an older Nikon 2 Mega-pixel camera and frankly, its sensor is sharper and the colors are more crisp. The reduced pixel count does show at enlargements beyond 5" X 7". There were many other things wrong with the old Nikon, one being a battery eater. The Canon IS cameras have a lot of good features for the money and their processor is speedy, but it seems that the sensors need improving. The larger sensor in the larger Canons and Nikons are much better, but of course, these require bigger and more expensive lenses to cover the sensor area and the zoom range and aperature at full zoom can not match the Canon IS series.

[In this discussion, sensor size is not refering to the number of pixels squeezed out of the sensor, but the the actual physical size. Sharper images are possible with physically larger sensors.]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here