Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SLR sensor question...

Posted by ashelton80 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 08 at 23:06

Those of you that have an SLR camera, how or do you clean your sensor?

Mine is a bit dusty...I used a baby de-snotter suction thingy (i dont have kids, so i dunno the real name) to blow mine off with some success, but has anyone used he swabs with eclipse cleaning solution?

Is the process as scary as I have heard?

Thanks,

A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SLR sensor question...

I use the sensor sweep. Don't want to use to blower/sucker as it may push dust further into the camera

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensor Sweep

o

I was wondering this myself, Ashelton...

how do you know when it needs a cleaning? I've changed lens a few times...Is it when you change that dust gets in there? or how bout when it sits...I leave mine out to be easily accessible...Should I be keeping it under cover?

Juanita

o

The sensor needs cleaning when you can see specks in your photos. I'm guessing it's the lens changes introduce dust in, not sure if just sitting does. With the 20D I would have to clean with every lens change, the 40D is much better with the automatic sensor clean when you power on off and back on.

o

I have used the chopstick, lens tissue paper and alcohol, very cheap and it works...but do it very carefully!

Konrad

o

Juanita, look at my other post titled Desoto Falls. Paticularly in the bottom left quarter of the actual waterfall, you can see several dust specks...

From what I understand, dust is just a miserable fact of life...lol. I think it happens most requently when changing lenses. I try to change mine with the camera facing down....dont know really if it helps, but in my mind it does! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here