Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
VFW Memorial-The Tank

Posted by juanital (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 22:54

i really was having a hard time getting the exposure and compsition right on this...The 1st one was Auto and terribly overexposed...the 2nd one Manual but still not right...I had a very hard time getting the right angles cos I was too greedy and wanted to capture the whole tank...I worked to the best I could...

But this is in New Galilee, PA...There was a gentleman who happened to pull into the lot and gave me a little info, I really wish I had a pen and pad on hand to write what he was telling me...Donated to VFW...It was fully operable when they transported here, cost $5000. They came and took everything out and sealed all openings...I tried finding info on the name a c(z?)40 or 60 on the net...please dont hold me to that cause I can't remember clearly...so if anybody out there can give some input to clarify...would be so grateful...I was just so awed to see it in person...something that has/had-was used by our military...
I didn't get the stone memorial, but they have site you can view it on...I'm going to make tracks back over there just don't know when I'll be able to...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: VFW Memorial-The Tank

Nice photos! Great Detail.

At first glance I thought it looked like a modified M26 Pershing, but after re-reading your post, it made me think of the M60 Patton Medium Tank, circa 1963.

Kt

o

Juanital
I spent some time in one of those. It is a M60A1 Main Battle tank.
A quick history and run down on it.
Came into service in 1960. First served in the Viet Nam war. Has since served in just about every war world wide. They are four versions that were built. The 60, A1, A2, A3. The A1 and A3 were the same as the 60 with a 105mm main gun, except they were updated with better crew serve weapons and electronics. The A2 had a very short gun barrel and had a 152mm Gun-launcher. The tanks are still in use by the USMC and a lot of countries that were friends to the US at the time.
They had a four man crew. Driver, Gunner, Loader and the Commander.

The tube that comes from the hull and runs just in front of the storage box is the heaters exhaust. We would cook meals using the heat from that exhaust.lol

The white tape (most likely Velcro) was used to place sensors for training. A device was connected to the main gun and when you "shot" an enemy tank the sensors would go off letting command know that the tank was hit.

The two things I remember most about serving on an M60 was....
1. The bond that a crew had with their tank and each other.
2. The choking smell of ammonia when we went to the firing range. The Turret would fill with smoke and strong eye watering smell of ammonia after a few rounds had been fired from the main gun.

o

Juanita, I LOVE your last picture, especially.
JoanMN/FL

o

Well, Thank you, Kt, Hippy and Joan! I very much enjoyed and appreciate reading the history and info...
juanita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here