Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaver Creek State Park-bridge Repairs...then needs more...

Posted by juanital (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 08 at 14:34

Haven't been able to get out much this winter...so all I have is my yard and around...but today my daughter from Pittsburgh came down and took me here...the bridge was to be under repairs for 4 months...but there was a little drawback...and I didn't get a 2nd battery for my d300 so only got a few of these...Actually the time onthis was few weeks ago and had a pretty good rain...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Juanita
Nikon D300

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaver Creek State Park-bridge Repairs...then needs more...

Very nice! The same style bridges can be found around here.

What is the round 'thing' at each end of the bridge, just above where you enter/exit the bridge, a sign?

Looks like they have cables holding the bridge in place.

Kt

o

The round things are markers(?) that tell about the bridge...and they had to bring in a crane to lift that end up where the tree hit near the foundation!

Juanita

o

wow, that water looks like it could sweep the bridge right away!
JoanMN/FL

o

The floor rails are no longer supported by the superstructure, but by the stautions (in the stream). As you said, this bridge is under repair and hopefully someday, the floor will be tied again to the superstructure.

This style of bridge construction is old. I'm betting this bridge is over 100 years old. Several bridges of this style with I-Bar tension members have failed in Ohio, thus are being phased out or refurbished.

The main box members of the superstructure are made of flat plates and channel iron hot riveted together. This is the hallmark of this type of bridge, and is not seen in today's bridges. Also, if you examine the truss structure, there should be adjustable tension members with turn-buckles in the center of the tension rods. In the days when this style of construction was popular, there was a professional occupation called a "bridge tuner". After the bridge was roguhed in, it was his job to adjust the tension members so that each part of the bridge was carrying equalized loads. He 'tuned' the bridge much as one would tune a piano. By adjsuting the tension members, then striking them to make them ring, he could compare one memeber to another for tension. The frequency of ringing was a function of the amount of tension in the rods.

After the bridge had seen some use and settled a bit, he would return to touch up the "tune" of the bridge.

o

Very interesting! I'll check out those signs more clearly...It probably is at least 100.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here