Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help me with a camera

Posted by ctstar (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 14:30

I am looking for my second camerea. my first is a Kodak 10.3 mega pixels 3 zoom. It's nice camera but the zoom is terrible.. I am looking for a new digital camera with zoom for far away .. I went to best buy yesterday and it was pointless even talking to the people there they just wanna make a deal. Can someone suggest a camera that is good quality with good zoom and decent picture taking up close and far away.
Also is Sony a good camera brand?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help me with a camera

Need more information.

When you say far away that is a very arbitrary statement. I primarily shoot nature and wildlife photos and I can tell you first hand that a songbird at 50 to 75 feet requires a lens that would produce nice photos of a person at 200 feet away and a subject the size of a car at 250 yards.

The key is to first determine what type of subjects you will be shooting then select a lens capable of producing the type of shots your looking for.

I shoot Pentax DSLR's and I currently have 14 lenses ranging from a 14mm fisheye to a true Pentax Tele-Tskumar 1,000mm prime lens which weighs in at 29lbs including the special tripod, but I am always on the lookout for another lens. In fact, just today I discovered what I hope will be my next less acquisition, a 2500mm f8 prime lens.

o

This is from an amateur's viewpoint-

Is your Kodak a point and shoot camera or an SLR?

I have a Nikon D50 Digital SLR which can use additional lenses. I presently have 2 lenses, a 28mm-55mm, and a 55mm-200mm. We are thinking about getting a more powerful lens, but we are not sure of the size yet. The SLRs in general have some weight to them compared to a point and shoot, but my D50 is nice to hangle.

I just bought a Panasonic Lumix ZS3 approx. $300. (the ZS1 is similar and $100. less expensive) with 12x wide angle zoom, 10.1 mega pixels -all that I need. This camera is a point and shoot and is not able to take additional lenses. When buying a camera with zoom you are looking for OPTICAL zoom. The ZS3 p&s also has a maximum zoom of 85x digital which means that we can see the windows in a house approx. 1 1/2-2 miles away but it is not a photo you would want to print for display, except to show what the camera can do. I have not printed a photo at this distance, but I want to soon. I really like this point and shoot for its 12x, light weight, fits in a pocket, voice recording, image stabilization, shutter burst (video) and the photos look great. We take photos of family, wildlife, flowers, etc.

If you want to add lenses, as lazypup has mentioned, you will need an SLR (single lens reflex) to be able to uses lenses for maximum distance, and you will definitely need a tripod to control camera shake.

Just some thoughts. Good luck. Jane

PS:Before I finally chose my ZS3 I checked out a lot of reviews.

o

It sounds to me like you'd like a superzoom. The Panasonic Lumix FZ35 is regarded by most reviewers as the best in its class. I have an older model of the same line, and absolutely love it. Most of the photos on my Flick pages (linked below) were taken with it.

If you do a Flickr search on FZ35 or FZ38 (the same model in Europe), you'll see some wonderful examples. This camera takes great videos, too. You can find them at YouTube, searching the same way.

The FZ35 sells for around $300 on Amazon (down about $100 from when it was introduced in September). Note all the 5-star reviews.

FZ35 on Amazon

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr photos

o
R.E: please help me with a camera

PS: After writing the above post, I ordered the FZ35 for myself. I'd been thinking about getting it since September, but bought a DSLR instead. I found I still wanted the Panasonic, and the recent drop in price convinced me the time was now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here